Social Security and CESS in Respect of Building and other Construction Workers
100. Levy and collection of cess.-
(1) There shall be levied and collected a cess for the purposes of social security and welfare of building workers at such rate not exceeding two per cent. but not less than one per cent. of the cost of construction incurred by an employer, as the Central Government may, by notification, from time to time, specify.
Explanation.-For the purposes of this sub-section, the cost of construction shall not include,-
(a) the cost of land; and
(b) any compensation paid or payable to an employee or his kin under Chapter VII.
(2) The cess levied under sub-section (1) shall be collected from every employer undertaking building or other construction work in such manner and at such time, including deduction at source in relation to a building or other construction work of a Government or of a public sector undertaking or advance collection through a local authority where an approval of such building or other construction work by such local authority or such other authority notified by the State Government is required, as may be prescribed by the Central Government.
(3) The proceeds of the cess collected under sub-section (2) shall be deposited by the local authority or such other authority notified by the State Government to the Building Workers' Welfare Board in such manner as may be prescribed by the Central Government.
(4) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (1) or sub-section (2), the cess leviable under this Chapter including payment of such cess in advance may, subject to final assessment to be made, be collected at a uniform rate or rates as may be prescribed by the Central Government on the basis of the quantum of the building or other construction work involved.