The Coal Mines Provident Fund and Miscellaneous Provisions Act, 1948
2[3E. Coal Mines Pension Scheme.-
(1) The Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, frame a scheme to be called the Coal Mines Pension Scheme for the purpose of providing for-
(a) superannuation pension, retiring pension or permanent total disablement pension to the persons employed in any coal mine or class of coal mines to which this Act applies; and
(b) widow or widower pension, children pension or orphan pension and life assurance benefits, payable to the beneficiaries of such employees.
(2) Notwithstanding anything contained in section 3, there shall be established, as soon as may be after framing of the Pension Scheme, a Pension Fund into which there shall be paid, from time to time, in respect of every employee who is a member of the Pension Scheme,-
(a) such sums, not exceeding one-fourth, of the amount payable to the Fund under sub-section (1) of section 10D as the employer"s contribution as well as the employee"s contribution, as may be specified in the Pension Scheme;
(b) such sums as the Central Government may, after due appropriation made by Parliament by law in this behalf, specify;
(c) the net assets of the [Pension Fund] as existed immediately before the establishment of the Pension Fund; and
(d) any other contribution which may be made to the Pension Fund with the previous approval of the Central Government.
(3) On the establishment of the Pension Fund, the Pension Scheme (hereinafter referred to as the ceased scheme) shall cease to operate and all assets of the ceased scheme shall vest in, and shall stand transferred to, and all liabilities under the ceased scheme shall be enforceable against, the Pension Fund and the beneficiaries under the ceased scheme shall be entitled to draw the benefits, not less than the benefits, they were entitled to under the ceased scheme, from the Pension Fund.
(4) The Pension Fund shall vest in and be administered by the Board in such manner as may be specified in the Pension Scheme.
(5) A Scheme framed under the provision of sub-section (1) may provide for all or any of the matters specified in the Second Schedule.]
2. Subs. by Act 23 of 1996, s. 5, for section 3E (w.e.f. 31-3-1998).