1. Short title, extent and commencement.
(1) This Act may be called the Civil Defence Act, 1968.
(2) It extends1 to the whole of India.
1. 1st October, 1975, vide notification No. S.O.478(E),dated 8th September, 1975, extended and brought into force in the State of Sikkim.
2. 10th July, 1968, vide notification No. S.O.2435(E), dated 5th July, 1968, see Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part II, sec. 3 (ii).
3. Ins. by Act 3 of 2010, s. 2 (w.e.f. 21-1-2010).
(3) It shall come into force in a State or part thereof on such date2, not being a date earlier than the date of the expiry of the Defence of India Act, 1962 (51 of 1962), as the Central Government may, by notification, appoint and different dates may be appointed for different States or different parts thereof.