The Cigarettes and Other Tobacco Products (Prohibition of advertisement and Regulation of Trade and Commerce, Production, Supply and Distribution) Act, 2003
25. Prevention, detention and place of trial of offences under sections 4 and 6.-
(1) Notwithstanding anything contained in any other law for the time being in force, the Central Government or the State Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, authorise one or more persons who shall be competent to act under this Act:
Provided that the person so authorised may, if he has reasonable ground for believing that any person has committed an offence under section 4 or section 6, may detain such person unless the accused person furnishes his name and address, and otherwise satisfies the officer detaining him that he will duly answer any summons or other proceedings which may be taken against him.
(2) Any person detained under sub-section (1) shall forthwith be taken before Magistrate to be dealt with according to law.
(3) Any person committing an offence under section 4 or section 6 shall be tribal for such offence in any place in which he may be or which the State Government may notify in this behalf, as well as in any other place in which he is liable to be tried under any law for the time being in force.
(4) Every notification issued under sub-sections (1) and (3) shall be published in the Official Gazette, and a copy thereof shall be exhibited for information to the public in some conspicuous place or places as the State Government may direct.
(5) Every person authorised under sub-section (1) shall be deemed to be a public servant within the meaning of section 21 of the Indian Penal Code (45 of 1860).