The Central Vigilance Commission Act, 2003
Chapter II The Central Vigilance Commission
3. Constitution of Central Vigilance Commission.-
1. There shall be constituted a body to be known as the Central Vigilance Commission to exercise the powers conferred upon, and to perform the functions assigned to it under this Act and the Central Vigilance Commission constituted under sub-section (1) of section 3 of the Central Vigilance Commission Ordinance, 1999 which ceased to operate, and continued under the Government of India in the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions (Department of Personnel and Training) Resolution No. 371/20/99 AVD. III, dated the 4th April, 1999 as amended vide Resolution of even number, dated the 13th August, 2002 shall be deemed to be the Commission constituted under this Act.
2. The Commission shall consist of-
a. a Central Vigilance Commissioner - Chairperson;
b. not more than two Vigilance Commissioners - Members.
3. The Central Vigilance Commissioner and the Vigilance Commissioners shall be appointed from amongst persons-
a. who have been or are in an All-India Service or in any civil service of the Union or in a civil post under the Union having knowledge and experience in the matters relating to vigilance, policy making and administration including police administration; or
b. who have held office or are holding office in a corporation established by or under any Central Act or a Government company owned or controlled by the Central Government and persons who have expertise and experience in finance including insurance and banking, law, vigilance and investigations:
Provided that, from amongst the Central Vigilance Commissioner and the Vigilance Commissioners, not more than two persons shall belong to the category of persons referred to either in clause (a) or clause (b):
4. The Central Government shall appoint a Secretary to the Commission on such terms and conditions as it deems fit to exercise such powers and discharge such duties as the Commission may by regulations specify in this behalf.
5. The Central Vigilance Commissioner, the other Vigilance Commissioners and the Secretary to the Commission appointed under the Central Vigilance Commission Ordinance, 1999 or the Resolution of the Government of India in the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions (Department of Personnel and Training) Resolution No. 371/20/99-AVD. III, dated the 4th April, 1999 as amended vide Resolution of even number, dated the 13th August, 2002 shall be deemed to have been appointed under this Act on the same terms and conditions including the term of office subject to which they were so appointed under the said Ordinance or the Resolution, as the case may be.
Explanation.- For the purposes of this sub-section, the expression “term of office” shall be construed as the term of office with effect from the date the Central Vigilance Commissioner or any Vigilance Commissioner has entered upon his office and continued as such under this Act.
6. The headquarters of the Commission shall be at New Delhi.