Central Universities Act, 2009
3. Establishment of Universities. -
1. The Guru Ghasidas Vishwavidyalaya in the State of Chhattisgarh and Doctor Harisingh Gour Vishwavidyalaya in the State of Madhya Pradesh, established under the Madhya Pradesh Vishwavidyalaya Adhiniyam, 1973, and Hemvati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University in the State of Uttarakhand, established under the Uttar Pradesh State Universities Act, 1973, shall be established as bodies corporate under this Act by the same names of "Guru Ghasidas Vishwavidyalaya", "Doctor Harisingh Gour Vishwavidyalaya" and "Hemvati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University", respectively.
2. The headquarters of Guru Ghasidas Vishwavidyalaya, Doctor Harisingh Gour Vishwavidyalaya and Hemvati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University shall be at Bilaspur, Sagar and Srinagar, respectively.
3. The jurisdiction of Guru Ghasidas Vishwavidyalaya, Doctor Harisingh Gour Vishwavidyalaya and Hemvati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University, shall extend to the Bilaspur, Raigarh and Surguja districts of the State of Chhattisgarh, the Sagar, Tikamgarh, Chhatarpur, Panna, Chhindwara and Damoh districts of the State of Madhya Pradesh, and the Chamoli, Dehradun, Garhwal, Hardwar, Rudraprayag, Tehri Garhwal and Uttarkashi districts of the State of Uttarakhand, respectively.
4. There shall be established, the Universities in the various States as bodies corporate, by such names and territorial jurisdiction, as specified in the First Schedule to this Act.
5. The headquarters of each of the Universities, referred to in sub-section (4), shall be such as may be specified by the Central Government by notification in the Official Gazette.
6. The first Chancellor, the first Vice-Chancellor and the first members of the Court, the Executive Council and the Academic Council of each University, and all persons who may hereafter become such officers or members, so long as they continue to hold such office or membership, are hereby constituted a body corporate by the name of the University.
7. The University shall have perpetual succession and a common seal, and shall sue and be sued by the said name