6[8A. Constitution of Central Silk-worm Seed Committee.-
(1) The Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, constitute for the purposes of this Act, a Committee to be called the Central Silk-worm Seed Committee consisting of-
(a) the Vice-Chairperson of the Board who shall be the Chairperson of the Committee, ex officio;
(b) (i) seven officials not below the rank of Deputy Secretary to the Government of India dealing with sericulture from the States-members;
(ii) two experts from the field of silk-worm seed development-members;
(iii) five persons to represent the sericulture sector of whom three shall be the farmers and two the reelers-members;
to be nominated by the Central Government from amongst the members of the Board;
(c) the Director of the National Silk-worm Seed Organisation to be nominated by the Central Government-member; and
(d) Secretary of the Board who shall be the Secretary of the Committee, ex officio.
(2) The Committee may associate with it, for such purposes and in such manner as it may deem fit, any person whose assistance or advice it may consider necessary in complying with the provisions of this Act, and a person so associated, shall have the right to take part in the proceedings of the Committee relevant to the purposes for which he has been associated, but shall not have the right to vote and shall be entitled to receive such allowances or fees as may be prescribed by the Central Government.
(3) A member nominated under sub-section (1) shall, unless his seat becomes vacant earlier by resignation, death or otherwise, hold office for a period of three years from the date of his nomination and shall be eligible for re-nomination: Provided that a person nominated under sub-section (1) shall hold office only for so long as he holds the appointment by virtue of which his nomination was made.
(4) No act or proceeding of the Committee shall become invalid merely by reason of-
(i) any vacancy therein, or any defect in the constitution thereof; or
(ii) any matter relating to the procedure of the Committee not affecting the merits of a case.
(5) The Central Government shall provide to the Committee such other technical and other officers and employees as may be necessary for the efficient performance of the functions under this Act.
(6) (a) The Committee shall meet at such time and place and shall observe such procedure in regard to transaction of business at its meeting (including the quorum at meetings) as may be specified by regulations.
(b) The Chairperson or in his absence any member chosen by the members present from amongst themselves, shall preside at a meeting of the Committee.
(c) All questions at a meeting of the Committee shall be decided by a majority of votes of the members present and voting and in case of equality of votes, the Chairperson or in his absence, the person presiding over the meeting shall have a second or casting vote.]
1. Ins. by Act 31 of 1953, s. 6 (w.e.f. 25-3-1954).
2. Subs by Act 42 of 2006, s. 8, for clause (a) ( w.e.f. 1-7-2007).
3. Clause (b) omitted by Act 21 of 1970, s. 3.
4. The word "other" omitted by s. 3, ibid.
5. The word "raw" omitted by Act 31 of 1953, s. 6 (w.e.f. 25-3-1954).
6. Ins. by Act 42 of 2006, s. 9 (w.e.f. 1-7-2007).