10. Heads of Departments
(1) Each Department shall have a Head who shall be not below the rank of an Associate Professor and whose duties and functions and terms and conditions of appointment shall be prescribed by the Ordinances: Provided that if there is more than one Professor in any Department, the Head of the Department shall be appointed by the Board on the recommendation of the Vice-Chancellor from among the Professors: Provided further that in the case of Departments where there is only one Professor, the Board shall have the option to appoint, on the recommendation of the Vice-Chancellor, either the Professor or an Associate Professor as the Head of the Department: Provided also that in a Department where there is no Professor, an Associate Professor may be appointed as the Head of the Department by the Board on the recommendation of the Vice-Chancellor: Provided also that if there is no Professor or Reader, in a Department, the Dean of College concerned shall act as the Head of the Department.
(2) It shall be open to a Professor or an Associate Professor to decline the offer of appointment as the Head of the Department.
(3) A Professor or an Associate Professor appointed as the Head of the Department shall hold office as such for a period of three years and shall be eligible for reappointment.
(4) A Head of a Department may resign his office at any time during his tenure of office.
(5) A Head of a Department shall perform such functions as may be prescribed by the Ordinances.