224. Power of owner of premises to place pipes and drains through land belonging to other persons.
(1) If it appears to the Chief Executive Officer that the only or most convenient means of water supply to, and drainage of, any premises is by placing or carrying any pipe or drains over, under, along or across the immovable property of another person, the Chief Executive Officer may, by order in writing, authorise the owner of the premises to place or carry such pipe or drain over, under, along or across such immovable property:
Provided that before making any such order the Chief Executive Officer shall give to the owner of the immovable property a reasonable opportunity of showing cause within such time as may be prescribed by bye-laws made in this behalf as to why the order should not be made:
Provided further that the owner of the premises shall not acquire any right other than a right of user in the property over, under, along or across which any such pipe or drain is placed or carried.
(2) Upon the making of an order, under sub-section (1), the owner of the premises may, after giving reasonable notice of his intention so to do, enter upon the immovable property with assistants and workmen at any time between sunrise and sunset for the purpose of placing a pipe or drain over, under, along or across such immovable property or for the purpose of repairing the same.
(3) In placing or carrying a pipe or drain under this section, as little damage as possible shall be done to the immovable property and the owner of the premises shall
(a) cause the pipe or drain to be placed or carried with the least practicable delay;
(b) fill in, re-instate and make good at his own cost and with the least practicable delay, any land opened, broken up or removed for the purpose of placing or carrying such pipe or drain; and
(c) pay compensation to the owner of the immovable property and to any other person who sustains damage by reason of the placing or carrying of such pipe or drain.
(4) If the owner of the immovable property, over, under, along or across which a pipe or drain has been placed or carried under this section whilst such immovable property was not built upon, desires to erect any building on such property, the Chief Executive Officer, shall, by notice in writing, require the owner of the premises to close, remove or divert the pipe or drain in such manner as shall be approved by him and to fill in, re-instate and make good the immovable property as if the pipe or drain had not been placed or carried over, under, along or across the same:
Provided that no such requisition shall be made unless in the opinion of the Chief Executive Officer it is necessary or expedient for the construction of proposed building or the safe enjoyment thereof that the pipe or drain should be closed, removed or diverted.