1. Short title, extent and commencement.
(1) This Act may be called the Cantonments Act, 2006.
(2) It extends to the whole of India.
(3) It shall come into force on such date1 as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint, and different dates may be appointed for different provisions of this Act and any reference in any provision to the commencement of this Act shall be construed as a reference to the coming into force of that provision.
1. 18th December, 2006, vide notification No. S.R.O. 15(E), dated 18th December, 2006, see Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part II, sec. 3(i).