The Cantonments (House-Accommodation) Act, 1923
Application of Act
3. Cantonments or parts of cantonments in which Act to be operative.-
(1) The 1[Central Government] 10*** may, by notification in the 1[Official Gazette], declare this Act to be operative in any cantonment or part of a cantonment 11 ***, other than a cantonment situate within the limits of a presidency-town.
(2) Before issuing a notification under sub-section (1) in respect of any cantonment or part of a, cantonment, the 1[Central Government] shall cause local inquiry to be made with a view to determining whether it is expedient to issue such notification, and what portion (if any) of the area proposed to be included therein should be excluded there from.
1. Subs. by the A.O. 1937 for certain words.
2. Subs. by the A.O. 1950 for the words "His Majesty's".
3. The words "and includes a Chaplain on duty with troops in a cantonment" omitted by, ibid.
4. Subs. by Act 10 of 1925, s. 2, for "a Cantonment Magistrate".
5. Subs. by s. 3, ibid., for "Commanding Officer of the Cantonment".
6. Subs. by Act 9 of 1930, s. 2, for "District Magistrate".
7. Ins. by Act 53 of 1950, s. 3.
8. Subs. by the A.O. 1956, for "any Part B State".
9. Subs., ibid., for "that State".
10. The words "with the previous sanction of the G.G. in C." rep. the A.O. 1937
11. The words "situate in the Province" rep. ibid.