Bureau of Indian Standard Act, 1986
3. Establishment and incorporation of Bureau of Indian Standards.-
(1) With effect the from such date as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint in this behalf shall be established for the purpose of this Act, a Bureau to be called the Bureau of Indian Standards.
(2) The Bureau shall be a body corporate by the name aforesaid, having perpetual succession and a common seal, with power, subject to the provisions of this Act, to acquire hold and dispose of property, both movable and immovable and to contract and shall be the said name sue and be sued.
(3) The Bureau shall consist of the following member, namely:-
(a) the Minister in charge of the Ministry or Department of the Central Government having administrative control of the Bureau who shall be ex-officio President of the Bureau;
(b) the Minister of State or a Deputy Minister,, if any in the Minister or Department of the Central Government having administrative control of the Bureau who shall be ex-officio Vice-President of the Bureau and where is no such Minister of State of Deputy Minister such person as may be nominated by the Central Government to be the Vice President of the Bureau;
(c) the Secretary to the Government of India in charge of the Ministry of Department of the Central Government having administrative control of the Bureau ex-officio;
(d) the Director-General of the Bureau ex-officio;
(e) such number of other persons, to represent the Government industry, scientific and research institutions and other interests, as may be prescribed, to be appointed by the Central Government.
(4) The term of office of the members referred to in clause (e) of sub-section (3) and the manner of filling vacancies among, and the procedure to be followed in the discharge of their functions by the members shall be such as may be prescribed.
(5) The Bureau may associate with itself in such manner and for such purpose as may be prescribed any persons whose assistance or advice it may desire in complying with any of provisions of this Act and a person so associated shall have the right to take part in the discussions of the Bureau relevant to the purpose for which he has been associated but shall not have the right to vote.