The Biological Diversity Act, 2002
Chapter VI State Biodiversity Board
22. Establishment of State Biodiversity Board.-
1. With effect from such date as the State Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint in this behalf, there shall be established by that Government for the purposes of this Act, a Boar for the State to be known as the_____________(name of the State) Biodiversity Board.
2. Notwithstanding anything contained in this section, no State Biodiversity Board shall be constituted for a Union territory and in relation to a Union territory, the National Biodiversity Authority shall exercise the powers and perform the functions o a State Biodiversity Board for that Union territory: Provided that in relation to any Union territory, the National Biodiversity Authority may delegate all or any of its powers or functions under this sub-section to such person or group of persons as the Central Government may specify.
3. The Board shall be a body corporate by the name aforesaid, having perpetual succession and a common seal, with power to acquire, hold and dispose of property, both movable and immovable, and to contract, and shall by the said name sue and be sued.
4. The Board shall consist of the following members, namely:-
a. a Chairperson who shall be an eminent person having adequate knowledge and experience in the conservation and sustainable use of biological diversity and in matters relating to equitable sharing of benefits, to be appointed by the State Government;
b. not more than five ex officio members to be appointed by the State Government to represent the concerned Departments of the State Government;
c. not more than five members to be appointed from amongst experts in matters relating to conservation of biological diversity, sustainable use of biological resources and equitable sharing of benefits arising out of the use of biological resources.
5. The head office of the State Biodiversity Board shall be at such place as the State Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, specify.