The Biological Diversity Act, 2002
Chapter V Approval by the National Biodiversity Authority
19. Approval by National Biodiversity Authority for undertaking certain activities.-
1. Any person referred to in sub-section (2) of section 3 who intends to obtain any biological resource occurring in India or knowledge associated thereto for research o for commercial utilisation or for bio-survey and bio-utilisation or transfer the results of any research relating to biological resources occurring in, or obtained from, India, shall make application in such form and payment of such fees as may be prescribed, to the National Biodiversity Authority.
2. Any person who intends to apply for a patent or any other form of intellectual property protection whether in India or outside India referred to in sub-section (1) of section 6, may make an application in such form and in such manner as may be prescribed to the National Biodiversity Authority.
3. On receipt of an application under sub-section (1) or sub-section (2), the National Biodiversity Authority may, after making such enquiries as it may deem fit and if necessary after consulting an expert committee constituted for this purpose, by order, grant approval subject to any regulations made in this behalf and subject to such terms and conditions as it may deem fit, including the imposition of charges by way of royalty or for reasons to be recorded in writing, reject the application: Provided that no such order for rejection shall be made without giving an opportunity of being heard to the person affected.
4. The National Biodiversity Authority shall give public notice of every approval granted by it under this section.