Transfer of Territories
3. Transfer of territories from Bihar to West Bengal.-
(1) As from the appointed day, there shall be added to the State of West Bengal the territories which on the 1st day of March, 1956, were comprised in-
(a) that portion of Kishanganj sub-division of Purnea district which lies to the east of the boundary line demarcated in accordance with the provisions of sub-section (2) by an authority appointed in this behalf by the Central Government and that portion of Gopalpur thana of the said district which lies to the east or north, as the case may be, of the said boundary line; and
(b) Purulia sub-division of Manbhum district, excluding Chas thana, Chandil than a and Patamda police station of Barabhum thana; and the said territories shall thereupon cease to form part of the State of Bihar.
(2) The boundary line referred to in sub-section (1) shall be so demarcated as to be generally two hundred yards to the west of the highway in Purnea district connecting Dalkola, Kishanganj and Chopra with Siliguri in Darjeeling district and two hundered yards to the south or south-west of the highway in Purnea district connecting Dalkola and Karandighi with Raiganj in West Dinajpur district: Provided that the boundary line shall be so demarcated as not to cut across any village or town: Provided further that from the point where the first-mentioned highway meets the southern boundary of Kishanganj municipality to the point where it leaves the northern boundary of that municipality, the boundary line shall be the same as the boundary of that municipality on the east.
(3) The territory specified in clause (a) of sub-section (1) shall be included in, and form part of, Darjeeling district, and the territory specified in clause (b) of that sub-section shall form a separate district to be known as Purulia district within Burdwan division of the State of West Bengal.
(4) Nothing in sub-section (3) shall be deemed to affect the power of the State Government to alter after the appointed day the name, extent and boundaries of any district or division in the State of West Bengal.