Banking Regulation Act, 1949
36AG. Compensation to be given to shareholders of the acquired bank
(1) Every person who, immediately before the appointed day, is registered as a holder of shares in the acquired bank or, where the acquired bank is a banking company incorporated outside India, the acquired bank, shall be given by the Central Government, or the transferee bank, as the case may be, such compensation in respect of the transfer of the undertaking of the acquired bank as is determined in accordance with the principles contained in the Fifth Schedule.
(2) Nothing contained in sub-section (1) shall affect the rights inter se between the holder of any share in the acquired bank and any other person who may have any interest in such shares and such other person shall be entitled to enforce his interest against the compensation awarded to the holder of such share, but not against the Central Government, or the transferee bank.
(3) The amount of compensation to be given in accordance with the principles contained in the Fifth Schedule shall be determined in the first instance by the Central Government, or the transferee bank, as the case may, in consultation with the Reserve Bank, and shall be offered by it to all those to whom compensation is payable under sub-section (1) in full satisfaction thereof.
(4) If the amount of compensation offered in terms of sub-section (3) is not acceptable to any person to whom the compensation is payable, such person may, before such date as may be notified by the Central Government in the Official Gazette, request the Central Government in writing, to have the matter referred to the Tribunal constituted under section 36AH.
(5) If, before the date notified under sub-section (4), the Central Government receives requests, in terms of that sub-section, from not less than one-fourth in number of the shareholders holding not less than one-fourth in value of the paid-up share capital of the acquired bank, or, where the acquired bank is a banking company incorporated outside India, from the acquired bank, the Central Government shall have the matter referred to the Tribunal for decision.
(6) If, before the date notified under sub-section(4), the Central Government does not receive requests as provided in that sub-section, the amount of compensation offered under sub-section (3), and where a reference has been made to the Tribunal, the amount determined by it, shall be the compensation payable under sub-section (1) and shall be final and binding on all parties concerned.