Banking Regulation Act, 1949
10A. Board of Directors to include persons with professional or other experience
(1) Notwithstanding anything contained in any other law for the time being in force, every banking company-
(a) in existence on the commencement of section 3 of the Banking Laws (Amendment) Act, 1968, or
(b) which comes into existence thereafter, shall comply with the requirements of this section:
PROVIDED that nothing contained in this sub-section shall apply to a banking company referred to in clause (a) for a period of three months from such commencement.
(2) Not less than fifty-one per cent of the total number of members of the Board of Directors of a banking company shall consist of persons, who-
(a) shall have special knowledge or practical experience in respect of one or more of the following matters, namely,-
(ii) agriculture and rural economy,
(viii) small-scale industry,
(ix) any other matter the special knowledge of, and practical experience, which would, in the opinion of the Reserve Bank, be useful to the banking company:
PROVIDED that out of the aforesaid number of Directors, not less than two shall be persons having special knowledge or practical experience in respect of agriculture and rural economy, co-operation or small-scale industry; and
(b) shall not-
(1) have substantial interest in, or be connected with, whether as employee, manager or managing agent-
(i) any company, not being a company registered under section 25 of the Companies Act, 1956 (1 of 1956), or
(ii) any firm, which carries on any trade, commerce or industry and which, in either case, is not a small-scale industrial concern, or
(2) be proprietors of any trading, commercial or industrial concern, not being a small-scale industrial concern.
15[(2A) Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in the Companies Act, 1956 (1 of 1956), or in any other law for the time being in force,-
(i) no Director of a banking company, other than its Chairman or whole-time Director, by whatever name called, shall hold office continuously for a period exceeding eight years;
(ii) a Chairman or other whole-time Director of a banking company who has been removed from office as such Chairman, or whole-time Director, as the case may be, under the provisions of this Act shall also cease to be a Director of the banking company and shall also not be eligible to be appointed as a Director of such banking company, whether by election or co-option or otherwise, for a period of four years from the date of his ceasing to be the Chairman or whole-time Director, as the case may be.]
(3) If, in respect of any banking company, the requirements, as laid down in sub-section (2), are not fulfilled at any time, the Board of Directors of such banking company shall re-constitute such Board so as to ensure that the said requirements are fulfilled.
(4) If, for the purpose of re-constituting the Board under sub-section (3), it is necessary to retire any Director or Directors, the Board may, by lots drawn in such manner as may be prescribed, decide which Director or Directors shall cease to hold office and such decision shall be binding on every Director of the Board.
(5) Where the Reserve Bank is of opinion that the composition of the Board of Directors of a banking company is such that it does not fulfill the requirements of sub-section (2), it may, after giving to such banking company a reasonable opportunity of being heard, by an order in writing, direct the banking company to so re-constitute its Board of Directors as to ensure that the said requirements are fulfilled and, if within two months from the date of receipt of that order, the banking company does not comply with the directions made by the Reserve Bank, that Bank may, after determining, by lots drawn in such manner as may be prescribed, the person who ought to be removed from the membership of the Board of Directors, remove such person from the office of the Director of such banking company and with a view to complying with provisions of sub-section (2), appoint a suitable person as a member of the Board of Directors in the place of the person so removed whereupon the person so appointed shall be deemed to have been duly elected by the banking company as its Director.
(6) Every appointment, removal or reconstitution duly made, and every election duly held, under this section shall be final and shall not be called into question in any court.
(7) Every Director elected or, as the case may be, appointed under this section shall hold office until the date up to which his predecessor would have held office, if the election had not been held, or, as the case may be, the appointment had not been made.
(8) No act or proceeding of the Board of Director of a banking company shall be invalid by reason only of any defect in the composition thereof or on the ground that it is subsequently discovered that any of its members did not fulfill the requirements of this section.