7C. Powers and duties of Vice-Chancellor.-
(1) The Vice-Chancellor who shall be the principal executive and academic officer of the University, shall take rank next to the Chancellor and shall exercise general supervision and control over the affairs of the University and give effect to the decisions of its authorities.
(2) The Vice-Chancellor shall be the ex officio Chairman of the Executive Council, the Academic Council 1*** and the Finance Committee and shall, in the absence of the Chancellor, preside at any convocation of the University for conferring degrees and also at any meeting of the Court; he shall be entitled to be present at and to address any meeting of any authority or board or committee of the University but shall not be entitled to vote thereat unless he is a member of such authority or board or committee.
(3) It shall be the duty of the Vice-Chancellor to see that the provisions of this Act, the Statutes, the Ordinances and the Regulations are duly observed.
(4) The Vice-Chancellor shall have power to convene meetings of the Court, the Executive Council, 2[and the Academic Council] and shall perform all such acts as may be necessary to carry out the provisions of this Act, the Statutes and the Ordinances.
(5) If, in the opinion of the Vice-Chancellor, any emergency has arisen which requires immediate action to be taken, the Vice-Chancellor shall take such action as he deems necessary and shall report the same for approval at the next meeting to the authority which, in the ordinary course, would have dealt with the matter: Provided that, if the action taken by the Vice-Chancellor is not approved by the authority concerned, he may refer the matter to the Visitor, whose decision thereon shall be final. Provided further that, where any such action taken by the Vice-Chancellor affects any person in the service of the University, such person, shall be entitled to prefer, within thirty days from the date on which he receives notice of such action, an appeal to the Executive Council.
(6) The Vice-Chancellor shall exercise such other powers as may be prescribed by the Statutes, the Ordinances or the Regulations.]
1. The words ", the Standing Committee of the Academic Council" omitted by Act 34 of 1969, s. 3 (w.e.f. 5-9-1969).
2. Subs. by s. 2, ibid., for ", the Academic Council and the Standing Committee of the Academic Council" (w.e.f. 5-9-1969).
3. Subs. by Act 52 of 1966, s. 8, for "the officers of the University" (w.e.f. 31-12-1966).
4. Ins. by s. 9, ibid. (w.e.f. 31-12-1966).