2[(1) The Vice-Chancellor shall be appointed by the Visitor on the recommendation of a Selection Committee constituted by the Visitor for the purpose: Provided that, if the Visitor does not approve of such recommendation, he may call for one or more fresh recommendations.]
(3) The Vice-Chancellor shall be a whole-time salaried officer of the University.
(4) The Vice-Chancellor shall hold office for a term of 3[three years] from the date on which he enters upon his office and shall, on the expiration of his term of office, be 4[eligible for reappointment to that office for a second term]: Provided that the Vice-Chancellor shall, notwithstanding the expiration of his term, continue to hold his office until his successor is appointed and enters upon his office.
(5) The emoluments and other terms and conditions of service of the Vice-Chancellor shall be prescribed by the Statutes.
(6) If the office of the Vice-Chancellor becomes vacant, the functions of his office shall, until some person is appointed under sub-section (1) to the vacant office, be performed by the Rector: Provided that if there is no Rector, the Registrar shall carry on the current duties of the Vice- Chancellor and call a meeting of the Executive Council forthwith and take its directions for the carrying on of the work of the University.
1. Subs. by Act 52 of 1966, s. 7, for sections 6 and 7 (w.e.f. 31-12-1966).
2. Subs. by Act 34 of 1969, s. 2, for sub-sections (1) and (2) (w.e.f. 5-9-1969).
3. Subs. by s. 2, ibid., for "five years" (w.e.f. 5-9-1969).
4. Subs. by s. 2, ibid., for "ineligible for reappointment to that office" (w.e.f. 5-9-1969).