(1) Subject to the provisions of this Act and the Statutes, the Ordinances may provide for all or any of the following matters, namely:-
(a) the admission of students to the University and their enrolment as such;
(b) the courses of study to be laid down for all degrees, diplomas and certificates of the University;
4[(c) the qualifications for admission to courses of study for degrees, diplomas, certificates and other academic distinctions and to examinations of the University and the award of degrees, diplomas, certificates and other academic distinctions;]
(d) the fees to be charged for courses of study in the University and for admission to the examinations, degrees and diplomas of the University;
(e) the conditions of the award of fellowships, scholarships, studentships, exhibitions, medals and prizes;
(f) the conduct of examinations, including the terms of office and manner of appointment and the duties of examining bodies, examiners and moderators;
5[(ff) the remunerations and allowances to examiners, moderators and other persons engaged in the business of the University;]
(g) the maintenance of discipline among the students of the University;
(h) the conditions of residence of students at the University;
(i) the special arrangements, if any, which may be made for the residence, discipline and teaching of women students, and the prescribing for them of special courses of study;
(j) the giving of religious instruction;
(k) the emoluments and the terms and conditions of service of 6[employees] of the University;
(l) the management of colleges and other institutions founded or maintained under sub-section (1) of section 15;
5[(ll) the meetings of any board or committee that may be set up under this Act or the Statutes, the quorum at such meetings and the procedure to be followed in the conduct of their business;]
(m) the supervision and inspection of colleges and other institutions admitted to privileges of the University under sub-section (2) of section 15; 7***
1[(mm) the powers and duties of teachers and salaried officers and the powers which may be delegated to them;
(mmm) the conditions and qualifications for the registration of graduates;]
(n) all other matters which by this Act or the Statutes are to be or may be provided for by the Ordinances.
(2) The Regulations of the University as in force immediately before the commencement of the Banaras Hindu University (Amendment) Act, 1951 (55 of 1951), shall be deemed to be the first Ordinances made under this section.
(3) The said Ordinances may be amended, repealed or added to at any time by the Executive Council: 2[Provided that no Ordinance shall be made-
(a) regarding the recognition of examinations of other Universities and institutions as equivalent to the University examinations, or
(b) affecting the conditions, mode of appointment or duties of examiners or the conduct or standard of examinations or of any course of study, unless a draft of such Ordinance has been proposed by the Academic Council.]
(4) The Executive Council shall not have power to amend any draft proposed by the Academic Council under the provisions of sub-section (3) but may reject the proposal or return the draft to the Academic Council for reconsideration, either in whole or in part, together with any amendments which the Executive Council may suggest.
3[(5) Where the Executive Council has rejected the draft of an Ordinance proposed by the Academic Council, the Academic Council may appeal to the Visitor who may pass such order thereon as he thinks fit.
(6) All Ordinances made by the Executive Council shall be submitted, as soon as may be, to the Visitor who may disallow any such Ordinance or remit it to the Executive Council for further consideration.
(7) The Visitor may, by order, direct that the operation of any Ordinance shall be suspended until he has had an opportunity of exercising his power of disallowance, and any order of suspension under this sub-section shall cease to have effect on the expiration of one month from the date of such order.]
1. Subs. by Act 34 of 1969, s. 9, for sub-sections (3), (4), (5) and (6) (w.e.f. 5-9-1969).
2. Sub-section (7) renumbered as sub-section (4) thereof by s. 9, ibid. (w.e.f. 5-9-1969).
3. Subs. by Act 55 of 1951, s. 14, for sections 18 and 19 (w.e.f. 3-11-1951).
4. Subs. by Act 52 of 1966, s. 19, for clause (c) (w.e.f. 31-12-1966).
5. Ins. by s. 19, ibid. (w.e.f. 31-12-1966).
6. Subs. by s. 19, ibid., for "teachers" (w.e.f. 31-12-1966).
7. The word "and" omitted by s. 19, ibid. (w.e.f. 31-12-1966).