96. Power of a Summary Assam Rifles Court.
(1) Subject to the provisions of sub-section (2), a Summary Assam Rifles Court may try any offence punishable under this Act.
(2) When there is no grave reason for immediate action and reference can, without detriment to discipline, be made to the officer empowered to convene a Petty Assam Rifles Court for the trial of the alleged offender, an officer holding a Summary Assam Rifles Court shall not try without such reference any offence punishable under any of the sections 21, 24 and 55, or any offence against the officer holding the Court.
(3) A Summary Assam Rifles Court may try any person subject to this Act and under the command of the officer holding the Court, except an officer or a subordinate officer.
(4) A Summary Assam Rifles Court may pass any sentence which may be passed under this Act except the sentence of death or if imprisonment for a term exceeding the limit specified in sub-section (5).
(5) The limit referred to in sub-section (4) shall be
(a) one year, if the officer holding the Assam Rifles Court has held either the post of Commandant or a post declared by the Central Government, by notification, to be equivalent thereto for a period of not less than three years or holds a post of higher rank than either of the said posts; and
(b) three months, in any other case.