The Arbitration and Conciliation Act, 1996
19. Determination of rules of procedure.
1. The arbitral tribunal shall not be bound by the Code of Civil Procedure, 1908 (5 of 1908). or the Indian Evidence Act, 1872 (1 of 1872).
2. Subject to this Part, the parties are free to agree on the procedure to be followed by the arbitral tribunal in conducting its proceedings.
3. Failing any agreement referred to in sub-section (2), the arbitral tribunal may, subject to this Part, conduct the proceedings in the manner it considers appropriate.
4. The power of the arbitral tribunal under sub- section (3) includes the power to determine the admissibility, relevance, materiality and weight of' any evidence.