The Andhra Pradesh reorganization Act, 2014
The Eleventh Schedule
[ See section 85(7)(e)]
Principles governing the functioning of the River Management Boards.
1. The operation protocol notified by the Ministry of Water Resources with respect to water resources arrived at based on appropriate dependability criteria after the adjudication by the Krishna Water Disputes Tribunal shall be binding on both the successor States.
2. In the event of conflicting demand of water for irrigation and power, the requirement of water for irrigation shall take precedence.
3. In the event of conflicting demand of water for irrigation and drinking water, the requirement of water for rinking water purpose shall take precedence.
4. The allocations made by the River Water Tribunals with regard to various projects on Godavari and Krishna Rivers or for the regions of the existing State of Andhra Pradesh, in respect of assured water shall remain the same.
5. Allocations, if any, to be made on excess flows by any Tribunal in future shall be binding on both the State of Telangana and the successor State of Andhra Pradesh.
6. While the successor State Governments shall be responsible for managing natural calamities, the Boards shall advise the two State Governments on the management of disaster or drought or flood in the rivers of Krishna and Godavari, particularly in reference to the release of water for the management and mitigation of the natural calamities. The Boards shall have the full authority to get their orders implemented by the two successor State
1. Governments promptly and effectively in respect of operation of the head works of the dams, reservoirs or head works of canals and works appurtenant thereto including the hydel power projects, as notified by the Central Government, on Krishna and Godavari Rivers.
7. No new projects based on water resources arrived at based on appropriate dependability criteria on Godavari or Krishna rivers can be taken up by the State of Telangana or the State of Andhra Pradesh without obtaining sanction from the Apex Council on River water resources. All such proposals shall be first appraised and technically cleared by the respective Board, before sanction by the said Apex Council.
8. Execution of ongoing projects and future new projects on Godavari and Krishna rivers shall be the responsibility of the State Government concerned where the project is located.
9. In case of non-implementation of the decision by either of the States, the defaulting State shall bear the responsibility and shall face financial and other penalties imposed by the Central Government.
10. The following irrigation projects which are under construction shall be completed as per the plan notified by the existing State of Andhra Pradesh and the water sharing arrangement shall continue as such:-
i. Handri Niva
ii. Telugu Ganga
iii. Galeru NagirI