The Andhra Pradesh reorganization Act, 2014
85. Constitution and functions of River Management Board.
1. The Central Government shall constitute two separate Boards to be called the Godavari River Management Board and Krishna River Management Board (to be known as the Board), within a period of sixty days from the appointed day, for the administration, regulation, maintenance and operation of such projects, as may be notified by the Central Government from time to time.
2. The headquarters of Godavari River Management Board shall be located in the successor State of Telangana and of the Krishna River Management Board shall be located in the successor State of Andhra Pradesh.
3. The Godavari River Management Board and Krishna River Management Board shall be autonomous bodies under the administrative control of the Central Government, and shall comply with such directions as may, from time to time, be given to them by the Central Government.
4. Each Board shall consist of the following Chairperson and Members, namely:--
a. a Chairperson not below the rank or level of Secretary or Additional Secretary to the Government of India to be appointed by the Central Government;
b. two members, to be nominated by each of the successor States, of which one shall be the technical member not below the rank of Chief Engineer and the other administrative member to represent the concerned States;
c. one expert to be nominated by the Central Government.
5. Each Board shall have a full-time Member Secretary, not below the rank of Chief Engineer in the Central Water Commission, to be appointed by the Central Government.
6. The Central Government shall create such number of posts of the rank of Chief Engineer in the Central Water Commission, as it considers necessary.
7. Each Board shall be assisted in the day to day management of reservoirs by the Central Industrial Security Force constituted under the Central Industrial Security Force Act, 1968, on such terms and conditions as the Central Government may specify.
8. The functions of each Board shall include--
a. the regulation of supply of water from the projects to the successor States having regard to--
i. awards granted by the Tribunals constituted under the Inter-State River Water Disputes Act, 1956;
ii. any agreement entered into or arrangement made covering the Government of existing State of Andhra Pradesh and any other State or Union territory;
b. the regulation of supply of power generated to the authority in-charge of the distribution of power having regard to any agreement entered into or arrangement made covering the Government of the existing State of Andhra Pradesh and any other State or Union territory;
c. the construction of such of the remaining on-going or new works connected with the development of the water resources projects relating to the rivers or their tributaries through the successor States as the Central Government may specify by notification in the Official Gazette;
d. making an appraisal of any proposal for construction of new projects on Godavari or Krishna rivers and giving technical clearance, after satisfying that such projects do not negatively impact the availability of water as per the awards of the Tribunals constituted under the Inter-State River Water Disputes Act, 1956 for the projects already completed or taken up before the appointed day; and
e. such other functions as the Central Government may entrust to it on the basis of the principles specified in the Eleventh Schedule.