16. Application for registration and grant of certificate of registration.-
(1) Every person required to register any antiquity before the registering officer under section 14 shall make an application to the registering officer for the grant of a certificate of registration.
(2) Every application under sub-section (1) 1[shall, in the case of such antiquities or class of antiquities as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, specify, be accompanied] by such photographs of the antiquity which is to be registered and by such number of copies, not exceeding six, as may be prescribed and shall be made in such form and shall contain such particulars as may be prescribed.
(3) On receipt of an application under sub-section (1), the registering officer may, after holding such inquiry as he deems fit, grant a certificate of registration containing such particulars as may be prescribed.
(4) No application made under this section shall be rejected unless the applicant has been given a reasonable opportunity of being heard in the matter.