20. Power of Central Government to notify areas asprotected.
(1) If the Central Government4***
is of opinion that excavation for archeological purposes in any area should be restricted and regulated in the interests of archeological research, the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette specifying the boundaries of the area, declare it to be a protected area.
(2) From the date of such notification all antiquities buried in the protected area shall be the property of the Government and shall be deemed to be in the possession of the Government, and shall remain the property and in the possession of the Government until Ownership thereof is transferred; but in all other respects the rights of any owner or occupier of land in such area shall not be affected.
1. Subs. by the A.O. 1937, for "the L.G.".
2. Subs.,ibid., for "the Govt.".
3. Subs. by Act 18 of 1932, s. 3, for the heading and section 20.
4. The words "after consulting the L.G." omitted by the A.O. 1937.