Inthis Act, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context,
(1) "ancient monument" means any structure, erection or monument or any tumulus or place of interment, or any cave,rock-sculpture,inscription or monolith, which is of historical, archeological or artistic interest, or any remains thereof, and includes
(a) the site of an ancient monument;
(b) such portion of land adjoining the site of an ancient monument as may be required for fencing or covering in or otherwise preserving such monument; and
(c) the means of access to and convenient inspection of an ancient monument:
(2) "antiquities" include any moveable objects which4[the Central Government], by reason of their historical or archeological associations, may think it necessary to protect against injury, removal or dispersion:
(3) "Commissioner" includes any officer authorised by5[the Central Government] to perform the duties of a Commissioner under this Act:
(4) "maintain" and "maintenance" include the fencing, covering in, repairing, restoring and cleansing of a protected monument, and the (doing of any act which may be necessary for the purpose of maintaining a protected monument or of securing convenient access thereto:
(5) "land" includes arevenue-freeestate, arevenue-payingestate, and a permanent transferable tenure, whether such estate or tenure be subject to incumbrances or not: and
(6) "owner" includes a joint owner invested with powers of management on behalf of himself and other joint owners, and any manager or trustee exercising powers of management over an ancient monument, and the successor in title of any such owner and the successor in office of any such manager or trustee:
Provided that nothing in this Act shall be deemed to extend the powers which may lawfully be exercised by such manager or trustee.
1. The Act has ceased to have effect in relation to ancient and historical monuments and archaeological sites and remains declared to be of national importance by or under Act 24 of 1958, vide s. 39 thereof (w.e.f.15-10-1959).Ceased to have effect in Andhra in relation to Ancient and Historical Monuments and Archaeological Sites and Remains Area declared to be protected Monuments by Andhra Act 7 of 1960.
The Act has been repealed in its application to Bellary District by Mysore Act 14 of 1955 and in Maharashtra by Maharashtra Act 12 of 1961.
Amended in its application to
(1) Mysore by Mysore Act 7 of 1962.
(2) Rajasthan by Rajasthan Act 19 of 1961.
The Act comes into force in Pondicherry on1-10-1963:videReg. 7 of 1963, s. 3 and the First Schedule.
2. Subs by the A.O. 1950, forsub-section(2).
3. Subs. by Act 3 of 1951, s. 3 and the Schedule, for "except Part B States".
4. Subs. by the A.O.1937, for "the Govt.".
5. Subs.,ibid., for "the L.G.".