3. Establishment and incorporation of the Institute.-
(1) With effect from such date as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint in this behalf, there shall be established for the purposes of this Act an institution to be called the All India Institute of Medical Sciences:
6[Provided that the Central Government may, on and after the commencement of the All-India Institute of Medical Sciences (Amendment) Act, 2012 (37 of 2012), establish by notification in the Official Gazette, such other All-India Institutes of Medical Sciences at such places as it may specify in the said notification in addition to the existing Institute and the corresponding Institutes.]
(2) 1[Every Institute] shall be a body corporate by the name aforesaid having perpetual succession and a common seal, with power to acquire, hold and dispose of property, both movable and immovable, and to contract, and shall by the said name sue and be sued.
1. Subs. by Act 37 of 2012, s. 2, for "an All-India Institute of Medical Sciences" (w.e.f. 16-7-2012).
2. Subs. by s. 3, ibid., for "All-India Institute of Medical Sciences" (w.e.f. 16-7-2012).
3. 15th November, 1956, vide notification No. S. R. O. 2688, dated 6th November, 1956, see Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part II, s. 3.
4. Subs. by Act 37 of 2012, s. 4, for clause (a) (w.e.f. 16-7-2012).
5. Ins. by s. 4, ibid. (w.e.f. 16-7-2012).
6. The proviso ins. by s. 5, ibid. (w.e.f. 16-7-2012).