5. Powers of the University.
The University shall have the following powers, namely:
(1) to provide for instruction in such branches of learning as the University may think fit, and to make provision for research and for the advancement and dissemination of knowledge;
(2) 3[(a)] to promote Oriental and Islamic studies and give instruction in Muslim theology and religion and to impart moral and physical training;
4[(b) to promote the study of the religions, civilisation and culture of India;]
5[(c) to promote especially the educational and cultural advancement of the Muslims Muslims of India;]
1[(3) to hold examinations and to grant diplomas or certificates to, and confer degrees and other academic distinctions on, persons subject to such conditions as the University may determine and to withdraw any such diplomas, certificates, degrees or other academic distinctions for good and sufficient cause;]
(4) to confer honorary degrees or other distinctions 2*** in the manner laid down inthe Statutes;
3[(5) to provide instruction for such persons who are not members of the University, as the Universitymay determine;]
(6) to co-operate 4[or collaborate] with other Universities and authorities in such manner and for such purposes as the University may determine;
(7) to institute professorships, readerships, lectureships and 5*** other 6[teaching or academic posts] required by the University, and to appoint persons to such professorships, readerships, lectureships 7[and other posts] 8[and determine their conditions of service in accordance with the Statutes];
4[(7A) to appoint persons working in any other University, institution or organisation as teachers of the University for a specified period;]
(8) to institute and award fellowships (including travelling fellowships), scholarships, 9[studentships], exhibitions and prizes in accordance with the statutes and the Ordinances;
10[(9) to institute and maintain Halls for the students of the University;]
4[(9A) to establish within a radius of twenty-five kilometres of the University Mosque such Special Centres, Specialised Laboratories or other units for research and instruction as are, in the opinion of the University, necessary for the furtherance of its objects;]
(10) to demand and receive such fees and other charges as may be prescribed by the Ordinances;
(11) to supervise and control the residence and 9[to regulate the] discipline of studentsof the University, and to make arrangements for promoting their health; 11***
9[(11A) to make special arrangements in respect of the residence, discipline and teaching of women students;
(11B) to create administrative, ministerial and other 12*** posts and to make appointments thereto 8[and determine their conditions of service in accordance with the Statutes;]
4[(11C) to regulate and enforce discipline among the employees of the University and to take such disciplinary measures as may be deemed necessary;
(11D) to acquire, hold, manage and dispose of property, movable or immovable, including trust or endowed property for the purposes of the University;
(11E) to borrow, with the approval of the Central Government, on the security of the property of the University, money for the purposes of the University;
(11F) to declare a Department of Studies to be an autonomous Department; and]
(12) to do all such other acts and things whether incidental to the powers aforesaid or not as may be requisite in order to further the objects of the University 1***
1. Subs. by Act 34 of 1972, s. 4, for clause (3) (w.e.f. 17-6-1972).
2. The words "on approved persons" omitted by Act 62 of 1951, s. 3.
3. Subs. by Act 34 of 1972. s. 4, for clause (5) (w.e.f. 17-6-1972).
4. Ins. by s. 4, ibid. (w.e.f. 17-6-1972).
5. The word "any" omitted by Act 62 of 1951, s. 3.
6. Subs. by Act 34 of 1972, s. 4, for "teaching posts" (w.e.f. 17-6-1972).
7. Subs. by Act 62 of 1951, s. 3, for "and posts".
8. Added by Act 62 of 1981, s. 4 (w.e.f. 10-02-1982).
9. Ins. by .Act 62 of 1951, s. 3.
10. Subs. by Act 62 of 1981, s. 4, for clause (9) (w.e.f. 10-02-1982).
11. The word "and" omitted by Act 62 of 1951, s. 3.
12. The word "necessary" omitted by Act 34 of 1972, s. 4 (w.e.f. 17-6-1972).