1 [29. Power to make Ordinances.
(1) Subject to the provisions of this Act and the Statutes, the Ordinances may provide for all or any of the following matters, namely:
(a) the admission of students to the University and their enrolment as such;
(b) the courses of study to be laid down for all degrees, diplomas and certificates of the University;
(c) the award of degrees, diplomas, certificates and other academic distinctions, the qualifications for the same and the means to be taken relating to the granting and obtaining of the same;
(d) the fees to be charged for courses of study in the University and for admission to the examinations, degrees and diplomas of the University;
(e) the conditions of the award of fellowships, scholarships, studentships, exhibitions, medals and prizes;
(f) the conduct of examinations, including the terms of office and manner of appointment and the duties of examining bodies, examiners and moderators;
2 [(g) the remuneration to be paid to the examiner, moderator, invigilator and tabulator;]
(h) the conditions of residence of the students of the University;
(i) the special arrangements, if any, which may be made for the residence, discipline and teaching of women students and the prescribing for them of special courses of studies;
(j) the giving of religious instruction;
(k) the emoluments and the terms and conditions of service of 3 [the academic and other staff of the University];
(l) the maintenance of high schools and other institutions in accordance with the provisions of section 12;
4 [(m) the establishment of Centres of Study, Boards of Study, Inter-Disciplinary Committees, Special Centres, Specialised Laboratories, Committees on Advanced Study and Research, Committees of Department and Centres, Admission Committees, Examination Committee, Boards of Residence and Halls, Discipline Committee, Cultural Committee, Social Service Committee, Games Committee and Student's Advisory Committees;
(n) the manner of co-operation and collaboration with other Universities and authorities including learned bodies or associations;
(o) the creation, composition and functions of any other body which is considered necessary for improving the academic life of the University;
(p) such other terms and conditions of teachers as are not prescribed by the Statutes; and
(q) all other matters which by this Act or the Statutes may be provided for by the Ordinances.]
5 [(2) The Ordinances in force immediately before the commencement of the Aligarh Muslim University (Amendment) Act, 1972 (34 of 1972), may be amended, repealed or added to at any time by the Executive Council, provided that
(i) in making the Ordinances in respect of the matters enumerated in sub-section (1) other than those enumerated in clauses (k) and (p), the Executive Council shall act on the recommendation of the Academic Council.
(3) The Executive Council shall not have power to amend any draft proposed by the Academic Council under the provisions of sub-section (2) but may reject the proposal or return the draft to the Academic Council for reconsideration, either in whole or in part, together with any amendments which the Executive Council may suggest.
1 [ 2 [(4) Where the Executive Council has rejected or returned the draft of an Ordinance proposed by the Academic Council, the Academic Council may consider the question afresh and in case the original draft is re-affirmed by a majority of not less than. two-thirds of the members present and voting and more than half the total number of members of the Academic Council, the draft may be sent back to the Executive Council which shall either adopt it or refer it to the Visitor whose decision shall be final.
(5) Every Ordinance made by the Executive Council shall come into effect immediately.
(6) Every Ordinance made by the Executive Council shall be submitted to the Visitor within two weeks. The Visitor shall have the power to direct the University within four weeks of the receipt of the Ordinance to suspend the operation of any such Ordinance and he shall, as soon as possible inform the Executive Council about his objection to the proposed Ordinance. The Visitor may, after receiving the comments of the University, either withdraw the order suspending the Ordinance or disallow the Ordinance, and his decision shall be final.]
1. The words "the Finance Committee" omitted by Act 62 of 1981, s. 15 (w.e.f. 10-2-1982).
2. Subs. by s. 15, ibid., for clause (c) (w.e.f. 10-2-1982).
3. Subs. by Act 62 of 1981, s. 16, for section 28 (w.e.f. 10-2-1982).