42. Registration of leases.-
(1) A lease for a period exceeding one year, or from year to year, or for reclaiming any land shall be made by a registered instrument only.
(2) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (1), the parties to such lease may, in lieu of registering the same, obtain the attestation thereto of a girdawar, a naib-tahsildar, or a tahsildar, within whose jurisdiction the land leased is situated in accordance with the provisions of sub-section (4).
(3) Such instrument shall be presented for attestation in duplicate.
(4) The attesting officer shall, after satisfying himself as to the identity of the parties and the execution of the instrument, make, sign and date an endorsement thereon to the effect that he has so satisfied himself, and shall deliver one copy to the lessor and the other to the lessee: Provided that no such instrument shall be accepted for attestation, unless it is presented within four months of its execution.
(5) An instrument so attested shall be deemed to be registered within the meaning of the Indian Registration Act, 1908 (XVI of 1908).