Air (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1981
5. Constitution of State Boards.
(1) In any State in which the Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1974 (6 of 1974), is not in force, or that Act is in force but the State Government has not constituted a [ 6 State Pollution Control Board 6 ] under that Act, the State Government shall, with effect from such date as it may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint, constitute a State Board for the Prevention and Control of Air Pollution under such name as may be specified in the notification, to exercise the powers conferred on, and perform the functions assigned to, that Board under this Act.
(2) A State Board constituted under this Act shall consist of the following members, namely :-
1. a Chairman, being a person having special knowledge or practical experience in respect of matters relating to environmental protection, to be nominated by the State Government :
2. Provided that the Chairman may be either whole-time or part-time as the State Government may think fit;(b) such number of officials, not exceeding five, as the State Government may think fit, to be nominated by the State Government to represent that Government;
3. such number of persons, not exceeding five, as the State Government may think fit, to be nominated by the State Government from amongst the members of the local authorities functioning within the State;
4. such number of non-official, not exceeding three, as the State Government may think fit, to be nominated by the State Government to represent the interests of agriculture, fishery or industry or trade or labor or any other interest which, in the opinion of that Government, ought to be represented;
Two persons to represent the companies or corporations owned, controlled or managed by the State Government, to be nominated by that Government;
[ 7 (f) a full-time member-secretary having such qualifications, knowledge and experience of scientific, engineering or management aspects of pollution control as may be prescribed, to be appointed by the State Government : 7 ]
Provided that the State Government shall ensure that not less than two of the members are persons having special knowledge or practical experience in respect of matters relating to the improvement of the quality of air or the prevention, control or abatement of air pollution.
(3) Every State Board constituted under this Act shall be a body corporate with the name specified by the State Government in the notification issued under sub-section (1), having perpetual succession and a common seal with power, subject to the provisions of this Act, to acquire and dispose of property and to contract, and may by the said name sue or be sued.