The Advocates' Welfare Fund Act, 2001
34. Power of appropriate Government to supersede Trustee Committee.-
1. If at any time the appropriate Government is of the opinion-
a. that, on account of circumstances beyond the control of the Trustee Committee, it is unable to discharge the functions or perform the duties imposed on it by or under the provisions of this Act; or
b. that the Trustee Committee has persistently defaulted in complying with any direction given by the appropriate Government under this Act or in the discharge of the functions or performance of the duties imposed on it by or under the provisions of this Act; or
c. that circumstances exist which render it necessary in the public interest so to do, the appropriate Government may, by notification and for reasons to be specified therein, supersede the Trustee Committee for such period, not exceeding six months, as may be specified in the notification and appoint, in consultation with the Chief Justice of the High Court having jurisdiction, a Judge of the High Court to be the Controller of the Trustee Committee: Provided that before issuing any such notification, the appropriate Government shall give a reasonable opportunity to the Trustee Committee to make representations against the proposed supersession and shall consider the representations, if any, of the Trustee Committee.
2. Upon the publication of a notification under sub-section (1) superseding the Trustee Committee,-
a. the Chairperson, Members and the Secretary of the Trustee Committee shall, as from the date of supersession, vacate their offices as such;
b. all powers, functions and duties which may, by or under the provisions of this Act, be exercised or discharged by or on behalf of the Trustee Committee shall, until the Trustee Committee is reconstituted under sub-section (3), be exercised and discharged by the Controller of the Trustee Committee; and (c) all properties and Fund owned or controlled by the Trustee Committee shall, until the Trustee Committee is reconstituted under sub-section (3), vest in the appropriate Government.
3. On or before the expiration of the period of supersession specified in the notification issued under sub-section (1), the appropriate Government shall reconstitute the Trustee Committee by a fresh appointment of its Chairperson, Members and Secretary of such Committee and in such case a person who had vacated his office under clause (a) of sub-section (2) shall not be deemed to be disqualified for reappointment.
4. The appropriate Government shall cause a copy of the notification issued under sub-section (1) and a full report of any action taken under this section and the circumstances leading to such action to be laid before each House of Parliament or before ach House of the State Legislature, where it consists of two Houses or where such Legislature consists of one House, before that House, as the case may be, at the earliest.