Advocates Act, 1961
1. Short title, extent and commencement
1. This Act may be called the Advocates Act, 1961.
2. (Note: Subs. by Act 60 of 1973, Sec.2, for sub-section (2) (w.e.f.31-1-1974)) It extends (Note The Act has been extended to-The Union territory of Dadra & Nagar Haveli by Regulation 8 of 1963, The Union territory of Pondicherry by Act 26 of 1968, Sec.3 and Sch.) to the whole of India.
3. It shall in relation to the territories other than those referred to in sub section come into force on such date
(Note - The following are the Notifications by which different dates have been appointed for different provisions of this Act:-
Notification Date Provisions
S.O.1870, dated 7th August, 1961 16/08/1961 Chapters I, II and VII.
S.O.2790, dated 24th November, 1961 01/12/1961 Chapter III and sub-section (2) of section 50.
S.O.2919, dated 13th December, 1961 15/12/1961 Sub-section (1) of section 50.
S.O.297, dated 24th January, 1962 24/01/1962 Sections 51 and 52.
S.O.958, dated 29th March, 1962 29/03/1962 Section 46.
S.O.50. dated 4th January, 1963 04/01/1963 Section 32 and chapter VI [except section 46, sub-section (1) and (2) of section 50, sections 51and 52].
S.O.2509, dated 31st August, 1963 01/09/1963 Chapter V
S.O.1500, dated 5th April 1969 01/06/1969 Sections 29, 31, 33 and 34 of Chapter IV
In Pondicherry, Pondicherry Gazette, 10/06/1968 Chapters I, II and III, Section 32,
Extra., p.1, dated 7th June, 1968 Chapters IV, V, VI and VIII.)
As the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint, and different dates may be appointed for different provisions of this Act.
4. (Note: Sub-section (4) Ins. by Act 60 of 1973, sec.2) This Act shall, in relation to the State of Jammu and Kashmir (Note: 01/08/1979, vide GSR 946 (E), dated 15/07/1986 (except section 30) the Act is enforced in the State of Jammu & Kashmir) and the Union territory of Goa,, Daman and Diu, come into force on such date (Note: 01/08/1986, vide GSR 84(E)/1979, (except section 30) the Act is enforced in Goa, Daman and Diu.) as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint in this behalf, and different dates may be appointed for different provisions of this Act.