The Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research, 2011
12. Appointment of Chairperson.-
(1) The Chairperson shall be appointed by the President of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, on the recommendation of the selection committee constituted under sub-section (2):
Provided that the Director-General of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, being the ex officio Vice-Chairperson , as referred to in clause (b) of sub-section (1) of section 11, shall act as the Chairperson until the first Chairperson is selected and appointed in accordance with the provisions of this Act:
Provided further that no person shall be selected and appointed as Chairperson unless such person is an Indian citizen.
(2) The selection committee referred to in sub-section (1) shall consist of four eminent scientists or technologists of international repute, as may be nominated by the President of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research.
(3) At least two eminent scientists or technologists of international repute nominated under subsection (2) shall be from the heads of international societies, academies, or similar organisations in the field of science and technology.
(4) The selection committee referred to in sub-section (2) shall-
(a) be constituted within six months before the completion of tenure of the incumbent as the Chairperson of the Board;
(b) submit its recommendation at least three months before the completion of the tenure of the incumbent Chairperson.
(5) The selection committee may evolve its own procedure for the purposes of meetings and making recommendations under sub-section (1) including making recommendations in respect of a person who has not applied for the post of Chairperson.
(6) Three members of the selection committee referred to in sub-section (1) shall form quorum for the meeting of the committee.
(7) The Chairperson shall exercise such other powers and perform such other functions as may be assigned to him by this Act or the Statutes.