The Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and Other Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Act, 2016
8. Authentication of Aadhaar number.
- The Authority shall perform authentication of the Aadhaar number of an Aadhaar number holder submitted by any requesting entity, in relation to his biometric information or demographic information, subject to such conditions and on payment of such fees and in such manner as may be specified by regulations.
- A requesting entity shall-
- unless otherwise provided in this Act, obtain the consent of an individual before collecting his identity information for the purposes of authentication in such manner as may be specified by regulations; and
- ensure that the identity information of an individual is only used for submission to the Central Identities Data Repository for authentication.
li>A requesting entity shall inform, in such manner as may be specified by regulations, the individual submitting his identity information for authentication, the following details with respect to authentication, namely:-
- the nature of information that may be shared upon authentication;
- the uses to which the information received during authentication may be put by the requesting entity; and
- alternatives to submission of identity information to the requesting entity.