Azim Premji University - Admission 2018
Applications are invited from eligible candidates for admission to one-year LL.M. in Law and Development at School of Policy & Governance, Azim Premji University, Bangalore for the academic year 2018-19.
Course: LL.M. in Law and Development
Duration: One year
About the Programme:
The LL.M. in Law & Development is a full-time one year programme that is spread over two semesters. The programme consists of three components - core and elective courses, field work, including a four - week external internship and a dissertation. Students must achieve a minimum of 36 credits spread over these three components in order to complete the programme successfully.
The programme is intended to achieve the following objectives:
- facilitate the creation of a diverse cohort of academically proficient and socially engaged scholars and practitioners of law;
- introduce students from law backgrounds to the context, debates and imperatives of the processes of development in India, and the significant role of legal institutions in conditioning these processes; and
- Enable students to critically engage with the possibility and the means of using law as an agency of positive social change.
Students must complete the following three courses - Law & Justice in the Globalising World, Research Methods & Legal Writing, and Comparative Public Law / Systems of Governance. In addition, students must complete a core course on Law and Development in order to gain an interdisciplinary understanding of the law. Students are expected to complete the three elective courses over two semesters. A wide range of elective courses that intersect the domain of law and other related areas such as anthropology, ecology, education and political philosophy are available for students to develop their areas of academic interests. Finally, all students will participate in a year-long field engagement programme that will expose them to an experiential understanding of law and society.
The LL.M. in Law and Development programme will have a mandatory component of dissertation writing. The dissertation will also help students develop their skills and confidence in conducting more advanced research such as a doctoral degree or conceptualising an independent research project. The dissertation carries five credits and spans over the two semesters.
The LL.M. in Law and Development seeks bright, motivated students who are interested in the social context as well as the social impact of the law, and are interested in contributing to development practices and discourse through the medium of the law. The programme will attract graduates with:
- A Bachelor of Laws degree from a recognized degree granting University in India or abroad. As the Bachelor of Laws is in most cases a non-specialist degree, the LL.M. Programme will be open to students with diverse interests in law.
- Applicants must clear the entrance examination held by Azim Premji University for the Post- Graduate programmes.
- Motivation for work in government and civil society or an academic career in the law.
- Social awareness and engagement with the role of law in development.
- Proven academic ability and potential.
- Early Admission: Admission for LL.M. programme in the early admissions window is open now.
- Students will be shortlisted based on the rank in the National Entrance Test conducted by Azim Premji University on 10th February, 2018. Shortlisted candidates will be called for a personal interview.
- Regular Admission: Applications for the Regular admissions for LL.M. in Law & Development will be open in April, 2018. Only candidates who are appearing for CLAT or LSAT India 2018 will be eligible to apply. Candidates will be shortlisted based on their CLAT / LSAT India scores and will be called for a personal interview.
Online Application Form:
Last date of online form submission:
26th January, 2018
National Entrance Test:
10th February, 2018
27th February, 2018
Programme Registration / Session start date:
3rd July, 2018
Azim Premji University
PES Campus, Electronics City,
Hosur Road (Beside NICE Road)
Bengaluru - 560100
Phone: 1800 843 2001
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org