Short Course on Comparative Contract Law and Practice
Center for Transnational Commercial Law (CTCL) at National Law University, Delhi is going to conduct a short course on "Comparative Contract Law and Practice".
Course Duration: 12th - 22nd May, 2016
Comparative Law is one of the most fascinating subjects in the legal syllabus. Comparative lawyers examine the differences and similarities of legal rules and doctrines across various legal systems. Contract law in particular has certain features that exist in a radically different shape, or are not present at all in other jurisdictions. An awareness of such differences is vital for students if they wish to be prepared for the challenges of legal practice in a globalised world, where many of them will be faced with cross-border dealings on a daily basis.
The UNIDROIT Principles of International Commercial Contracts (PICC) are designed to be an elaboration of an international restatement of general principles of contract law. They attempt to meet the perceived need for a harmonization of the law of International Commercial Contracts in a fashion that avoids some of the problems that more traditional tools of harmonization have met with in the past.
The specific areas covered in the course, while not exhaustive, are sufficient to provide participants with a good understanding of Comparative and Transnational Contract Law & Practice. Additionally, since the course materials include numerous cases (from common law and civil law jurisdictions), and hypothetical discussion problems, the program contents also are consistent with the course objectives of familiarizing students with case law analysis from various judicial bodies and jurisdictions outside India.
The Comparative Contract Law expositions of Common Law (mainly from U.K., Australia, India) and Civil Law (Germany) along with comprehensive coverage of PICC, by Professor Vogenauer, would be adequately backed up by suitable references from Indian Contract Law - provisions, cases & comment, by Dr. Risham Garg, the NLUD host Faculty for the course, who also manages activities of the Center for Transnational Commercial Law at NLUD.
Objectives of the Course:
- To introduce participants to the chief aspects of Comparative Contract Law & Practice
- To introduce and elaborate upon the UNIDROIT Principles of International Commercial Contracts (PICC)
- Familiarize participants with the International laws and conventions that govern this unique area of law
- Gain an understanding of case law analysis, through the detailed discussion of judicial decisions from prominent legal systems of the world on Comparative Contract Law and Practice.
- Enable students to consider critically the effectiveness of the current legal context for commercial and consumer contracting in achieving the desired policy objectives.
- Law students at all levels (B.A.LL.B./ LL.B. / LL.M. / JD / JSD / Ph.D)
- Faculty from Law Schools, Universities, Colleges and Institutions of Higher Education
- Lawyers, In-house Counsel
- Professionals from Industry involved in International Commercial Law Practice
- Participants from outside India: US $350
- Industry / Professionals / Lawyers: Rs. 20,000/-
- Academic Institutions (Faculty, Students): Rs. 10,000/-
- Academic Institutions (Delhi NCR without accommodation): Rs 5,000/-
- NLUD Faculty, Students, Ph.D. Scholars: No registration fees
Accommodation on campus shall be provided only to outstation candidates (subject to availability). The above fee includes all instructional materials, computer use for tutorials and assignments, library usage charges and 24hrs free internet facility.
(1) - (3) above will be provided 11-day accommodation, food and refreshments. These facilities will be offered against payment and availability for (4).
- Demand Draft to be made in favour of: - Registrar, National Law University Delhi, and made payable at Delhi.
- Superscribe on the envelope: "MHRD GIAN Short Course on 'Comparative Contract Law and Practice'".
- Registration shall be on a first-come basis.
Last date of submission of Application:
26th April, 2016
Confirmed candidates will be intimated by:
27th April, 2016
Dr. Risham Garg
Host Faculty and Course Coordinator
Assistant Professor of Law
National Law University Delhi,
New Delhi - 110078
Download Brochure, Course Overview