Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) 2016
The Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) is an all India entrance examination conducted on rotation by 17 National Law Universities (NLUs) for admissions to their under-graduate and post-graduate degree programmes (LL.B. & LL.M.).
Date of CLAT Examination: 8th May, 2016 (3:00 pm to 5:00 pm)
The 17 participating NLUs in the order of their establishment are:
- National Law School of India University, Bangalore
- The National Law Institute University, Bhopal
- National Law University, Jodhpur Gujarat
- National Law University, Gandhinagar
- Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Punjab, Patiala
- The National University of Advanced Legal Studies, Kochi
- National University of Study and Research in Law, Ranchi
- Damodaram Sanjivayya National Law University, Vishakhapatnam
- Maharashtra National Law University, Mumbai
- NALSAR University of Law, Hyderabad
- The West Bengal NU of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata
- Hidayatullah National Law University, Raipur
- Dr. Ram Manohar Lohiya NLU, Lucknow
- Chanakya National Law University, Patna
- National Law University, Odisha, Cuttack
- NLU and Judicial Academy, Assam, Guwahati
- The Tamil Nadu National Law School, Tiruchirappalli
Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) is a non-statutory body created for the convenience of the students seeking admission to the various Law Universities in the country under Memorandum of Understandings (MoU). An entrance test is conducted to provide a list of candidates on the basis of 'merit-cum-preference' to each University for admission to their UG/PG programs, as per the qualifications, reservation and other conditions laid down under the respective Statutes of the participating Universities.
The first CLAT Core Committee consisting of Vice-Chancellors of the seven participating NLUs at that time decided that the test shall be conducted by rotation in the order of their establishment. Accordingly, the first Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) was conducted in the year 2008. Now there are 17 participating NLUs and following the practice the eighth Common Law Admission Test (CLAT 2016) will be conducted by the Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Punjab.
B.A. LL.B. (Hons.) - Five Year Integrated Course:
Passed 10+2 or equivalent examination with a minimum of 45% marks in case of candidates belonging to General / OBC / Specially abled persons categories and 40% marks in case of candidates belonging to SC / ST category.
LL.M. - One Year Course:
LL.B. or equivalent degree examination with a minimum of 55% marks in case of General / OBC / Specially abled persons categories and 50% in case of SC / ST category.
The candidates who have passed the qualifying degree examination through supplementary / compartment or repeat attempts are also eligible for appearing in the test and taking admissions provide that such candidates will have to produce the proof of having passed the qualifying examination with the requisite percentage of marks, as the case may be, on the date of their admission or within the time allowed by the respective Universities.
The candidates who have appeared or are appearing in the qualifying degree examination by March / April 2016 are also eligible to appear in the test. Such candidates may submit the final results of the qualifying examination with the requisite percentage, as the case may be, within the time frame prescribed by the respective Universities and shall be provided provisional admission only.
CLAT 2016 Fee:
- Fee to be remitted while submitting the Application Form for Unreserved / OBC / PWD and other category candidates is Rs. 4000/- (For SC / ST category candidates: Rs. 3500/-) excluding the bank charges or additional transaction costs for remitting the fees online. The above application fee includes cost of online application form and e-brochure.
- Counseling Fee after the declaration of results: Rs. 50,000 (excluding the bank charges or additional transaction costs for remitting the fees online).
- Previous year Question papers of CLAT shall be available on the payment of Rs. 250/- in e-form only.
Mode of Application:
- There is only one mode of application (i.e. online) which can be accessed by a candidate after registering himself / herself on the CLAT website by signing up & creating a Login Account. The Online Application Form can be submitted only from 1st January, 2016 to 31st March, 2016 (11:59 p.m.). The submitted Online Application Form in PDF format and other details will be available and accessible in the Login Account of the candidate.
- Copies of the filled in Online Application Form or uploaded certificates / documents should not be sent to the CLAT Office.
- The Hall-Ticket / Admit Card can be accessed / downloaded by the candidate through the personal Login Account. The candidate is required to take the printout of the Hall-Ticket / Admit Card to the Examination Hall.
- Candidates applying must visit and carefully read the instructions given at the CLAT-2016 website (www.clat.ac.in).
- Incomplete application or application in any mode other than online or application after the last date and time shall not be considered. It shall be the obligation of the candidate to fill the Online Application Form in a timely manner. The Organizing University, i.e. Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Punjab shall not be responsible in anyway.
Commencement of submission of
1st January, 2016
Last date for submission of duly filled in Online Application Form
31st March, 2016 (11:59 pm)
Date of CLAT-2016 Online Examination
8th May, 2016 (3:00 pm to 5:00 pm)
Helpline: 0175-2391600/601/602/603/604, 0175-2391666