International Seminar on Judicial Ethics
MATS Law School, MATS University, Raipur is going to organize an International Seminar on "Judicial Ethics".
Date: 13th - 14th February, 2016
Venue: Conference Hall, Mats Law School Campus, Arang, Raipur
About the Seminar:
Amongst the three organs of the government, Judiciary is the only one that is left with some credit in class, mass and the public. Unfortunately, rightly or wrongly, systematic invasion on the credibility of this institution is in offing. This seminar aims at to discuss whether there is any truth or no truth in allegations of personal and institutional level wherein judiciary has been made to stand on trial in public and its image is getting drastically tarnished. MATS Law School, MATS University, Raipur, Chhattisgarh is providing the platform to the members of the judiciary (who have no platform otherwise) to speak out for themselves and their institutions without fear or favour as a purely academic venture which in the end is effective enough to communicate to all stake holders e.g. the Public, Litigants, Executive, Legislatures, Judges (serving as well as retired), to come forward and to suggest ways and means to uproot and do away with these calumnies and onslaught on the system which is backbone of the entire fabric. Come, join and sit with us to find out the causes and the remedies before it is too late.
Theme 1: Judicial Power - Judge as God, Divine Structure
- Impartiality and Dispassionateness
- Willingness to listen with open minds, Hallet Syndrome (over talkative judges)
- Respect to Procedural Law
- Knowledge of Evidence
- Justice according to Law, according to Judges individual sense of Justice over individual and Society and need of Judicial Ethics
- Restatement of values of Judicial life
- Article 129 / 215 of the Indian Constitution
- Contempt of Courts Act, 1971
- Identification of standards to which Judges must be held
- Mechanism to ensure adherence
- Speech, Expression, Contempt and Truth
- Executive Judiciary and Parliament - Harare Principle 1998
Theme 2: Judicial Codes
- Desirability of Judicial Code
- Content of Judicial Code
- Enforceability of Judicial Code by Legislature
- Body of Judges
- Media overview of Judicial Conduct
- Judicial scandals and erosion of public confidence
- Unaccepted behavior of the Judges
- Graduated level of sanction for Breach of Conduct
- Montreal Universal Declaration 2010
- UN basic Principles of Judicial. Independence 1985
- Burgh House Principles
- IBA minimum standards of Judicial Independence
Theme 3: Judicial Independence
- Security of Tenure
- Undermining respect of Constitution
- Those that put to risk the impartiality in deciding Constitution cases
- Ethics at Courts and at Home
- Judicial Independence and Accountability
- Courts ought not to protect guilty Judges
- RTI and non-disclosure of assets
- RTI, Medical Bill and Privacy of Judges
- Bar - Bench Relation
Theme 4: Judicial Ethics and Beneficiaries
- Judicial Ethics Myths and Reality
- Values and Ethics in Judiciary - Objectivity / Subjectivity, Dispassionate, Integrity, Propriety, Equality, Competence, Diligence and Bangalore principle of Judicial Conduct
- Canons of Judicial Ethics
- Corruption and Judiciary
- Immunity of the Judges from arrest and harassment
- Social values and Judicial Ethics
- Uncle Practice in Court by wife, children & Juniors of the Judges
- Proxy Practice
- Hob nabbing for higher jobs and elevation
Theme 5: Ethical Awareness and Judicial Education Updating Knowledge
- Lack of forum for discussion of judicial conduct within Judiciary
- Slavery and subordination of Judges of subordinate Courts
- Censure by Community
- Public perception can tarnish the Ethical Judge and Corrupt Judge same way
- Community involvement of Judges
- Judges Advocating certain cause
- Judges acting as character witness
- Ethical Realities
- Rural Judges
- Judges being drawn into sensitive social issues
- Extra Judicial Statement or Speeches; Public comment to Press
Call for Papers:
We cordially invite the academicians, researchers, representatives of the Civil Society and student research scholars to submit their research papers on the sub-themes to be covered in different technical sessions during the International Seminar on "Judicial Ethics" scheduled for 13th and 14th February, 2016. Interested participants may submit soft copy of the abstracts and full papers to the organizing committee through the following email address: email@example.com
Procedure for Submission of Abstracts:
Your Abstract (of about 300 words) should be sent as an attachment in a word file. Abstracts will be peer reviewed before they are accepted. The following information, in the given format, should be send along with the Abstract:
- Name of the Participant
- Official Designation
- Address and Email id
- Title of Abstract
The subject line of your message should read: Abstract 2016: [Your Name].
Guidelines for Paper Submission
- The title of the paper should be followed by Name, Designation, Name of the Organization / University / Institution and Email address. It is mandatory to mention Email address as all future correspondence will be through it.
- Name and details of Co-author, if any.
- The paper should be typed in MS WORD format (preferably 2007 or 2010)
- The paper must be in single column lay out with margins justified on both sides.
- The sub heading should be in font size 12, bold and Times New Roman, left aligned.
- The main text should be in font size 12, Normal, Times New Roman, 1.5 spacing and Justified
- The length of paper should not exceed 5,000 words (including footnotes). Exceeding the word limit may lead to rejection of papers.
- All references must be in the form of footnotes with font size 10 and should be according to the Bluebook 19th Edition.
- The authors have to submit their Registration Form along with details of Demand Draft electronically via email to firstname.lastname@example.org in the above mentioned format.
- The selection of the Research Articles for the publication in MATS University Law Journal, ISSN 2250-3889 will be at the discretion of the Editors.
- No TA/DA shall be paid to the participants except free accommodation, hospitality and food in the University Campus.
- The registration fee for seminar is Rs. 1500/- for each participant and is required to be paid along with the registration form.
- In case of co-authorship the registration fees is to be paid by both authors separately.
- The registration fees is to be paid through Demand Draft in the favor of "MATS University, Raipur", payable at Raipur on or before 14th December, 2015
- The abstract should reach us on or before 30th November, 2015.
- The selection of abstracts would be intimated to the authors by 7th December, 2015.
- The last date for Submission of the full paper is 30th January, 2016.
MATS Law School, MATS University
MATS Tower, Pandri
Raipur - 492004, Chhattisgarh
Phone: +91-9754974638, +91-9876214713
Download Brochure, Flyer, Registration Form, Travel Form