National Seminar on 10 Years of the RTI Act
National Law School of India University, Bengaluru and Karnataka State Law University, Hubli are jointly organizing the One-Day National Seminar on 10 Years of the RTI Act.
Date: 12th October, 2015
Venue: Krishnappa Hall, National Law School, Bengaluru
About the Seminar:
In order to promote transparency and accountability in administration, the Indian Parliament enacted the Right to Information Act, which came into force on 12th October, 2005. Having been in force for nearly 10 years, this law has benefited many, including the poor and the underprivileged. The new law empowers Indian citizens to seek information from a Public Authority, thus making the Government and its functionaries more accountable and responsible.
The basic object of the Right to Information Act is to empower the citizens, contain corruption, and make our democracy work for the people in the real sense. By making the requisite information accessible to citizens, they become better equipped to keep necessary vigil on the instruments of governance and make the government more accountable to the governed. The Act is one of the most important steps in empowering all sections of society, irrespective of their social and economic status, to make the administration answerable to the public.
While the implementation of the Act as envisioned continues to face certain challenges, it has indisputably provided the institutional mechanism for accountability. The completion of 10 years marks a significant milestone in the march towards a transparent democracy, and is a ripe occasion to celebrate the achievements of this legislation as well as examine its impact and the road ahead. NLSIU and KSLU aim to organize a one-day National Seminar in this area and are also keen to publish its outcome.
Call for Papers:
Well researched and documented papers are invited for presentation at the National Seminar, We will publish the selected papers / case comments with ISBN no.
The authors can make submissions under the following heads:
- Scholarly Articles and Research Papers (5000 - 8000 words, inclusive of footnotes)
- Short Articles (3000 - 5000 words, inclusive of footnotes)
- Case notes and comments
The suggested areas for paper writing are:
- Right to Information Act and its compliance
- Right to Information Act as an anti- corruption tool
- The Right to Privacy and Right to Information Act
- Right to Information Act and Good Governance in India
- Role of Right to Information Act in promoting Accountability and Transparency in Public Sector undertakings
- Right to Information Act and its effectiveness in eradicating corruption
- Right to Information Act and effective service delivery
- Right to Information Act and Whistle Blowers
- Right to Information Act and role of the NGOs
- Right to Information Act and Corporate Law in India
- Ambit and scope of the Right to Information Act: Comparative perspective
- Exemptions under Right to Information Act
- Competent authority and RTI
- RTI and Human Rights
- Right to Information and Consumer Rights
- Environment Protection and Right to Information Act
- Right to Information Act and Public Policy
Submissions are to be made only in electronic form. The same may be e-mailed to email@example.com (in MS Word format) along with a covering letter addressed to Dr. Sairam Bhat (Coordinator). The covering letter should include the author's contact information and a short abstract that outlines the main questions or themes addressed in the paper. All submissions will go through an initial round of review. We encourage potential contributors to adhere to a Uniform Mode of Citation throughout the whole work. All queries may be directed to the above-mentioned e-mail address.
The abstract may be up to 500 words.
- The Registration Fees for all participants shall be Rs.1,500/- (non-residential)
Demand Draft should be in the name of "National Law School of India University", payable at Bengaluru and it is to be send to:
Ms. R.S. Baba
National Law School of India University,
Nagarbhavi, Bengaluru - 560072
The last day for Submission of Abstracts:
10th September, 2015
The last day for Submission of the Papers:
5th October, 2015
Dr. Sairam Bhat
Ms. Anita Yadav
National Law School of India University
P.O. Bag 7201, Nagarbhavi,
Bengaluru - 560 072
Karnataka State Law University
Near RTO Office, Sutagatti Road,
Navanagar, Hubli - 580025