IIT Kharagpur - Short Term Course on Industrial Relations & Make in India
Rajiv Gandhi School of Intellectual Property Law, IIT Kharagpur is going to conduct a Short Term Course on Industrial Relations & Make in India
Course Duration: 11th - 17th July, 2015 (7 days)
The slogan of 'Make in India' has been coined to attract manufacturing industry for choosing India as a country to manufacture products. The government strives to present demographic pattern of the country as an opportunity to the industry by drawing the benefit from economic work force. In order to translate the slogan into real action, there is a need to revisit regulatory framework dealing with industrial relations in the country.
The regulatory framework dealing with the relationship between employer and employee has got a vital role in fulfilling the agenda of 'Make in India'. There are scores of labour laws, central as well as state laws, enacted in this country, which touches upon industrial relations. Harmonious relationship between employer and employee is "sine qua non", not only for attaining productivity for the industry but also for achieving prosperity for the nation. In order to ensure the agenda of 'Make in India' a successful venture, the government at the centre as well as of the states have stressed on the realignment of legal provisions of industrial laws for facilitating smooth affairs in the industry. In the light of this, the course is proposed to fulfill the following objectives:
- To understand the agenda of 'Make in India' from the perspectives of industrial relations
- To examine the laws relating to industrial relations
- To explore the provisions of law impacting industrial relations
- To analyse the regulatory framework with the help of judicial pronouncements and HR perspective on industrial relations
- To examine the current status of industrial relations and its future perspectives
- To educate the participants how to restore industrial harmony through industrial democracy and suitable industrial laws conducive for both people and production.
- Module I: Understanding 'Make in India' and its relationship with industrial relations'; Historical background of Industrial relations and the role of law; industrial relations in the emerging scenarios; role of the Centre and the States Government; Linkage of Human Resources, Make in India and Regulatory Framework.
- Module II: Role of trade union in era of liberalization and globalization; Kinds of trade union; Changing nature of trade union; recognition of Union.
- Module III: Understanding the meaning of 'industry' and 'workman' in the emerging economy; employer-employee relations - industrial dispute; Strike and Lockout - Role of Trade Union and Government; Role of Appropriate Government - Reference. Collective Bargaining, Workers' participation in management: issues and challenges, Grievance Management
- Module IV: Preventive measures - Role of Works Committee; Institutions of Investigation and Settlement - Court of Inquiry, Conciliation Officer, Board of Conciliation, Grievance Redressal Commission; Institution of Adjudication - Labour Court, Industrial Tribunal, National Tribunal; Role of Judiciary in industrial relations.
- Module V: Safety and Healthy provisions under Factories Act, Role of Factory Inspector, Responsibility of Occupier / Manager; Social Security Measures - Provident Fund; Gratuity; Compensation.
- Module VI: Contract Labour and Issues of Outsourcing; Contract Labour and Make in India. Labour unrest in India: Issues and Challenges
- Module VII: Employment Standing Orders Act Employee Development Programmes Employee Benefits / Gratuity / PF / etc.
How to Apply:
Participants can send the filled in application form to Dr. Uday Shankar, Coordinator of the programme on or before 20th June, 2015.
The pedagogy would include lecture, discussion, case study, demonstration, and management games
- No course fee for faculty of AICTE approved institutes
- For sponsored participants:
- Industry: INR 10,000
- Academics: INR 6,000
- Students: INR 3,000
Demand Draft should be made in favour of "CEP STC IIT KHARAGPUR".
Participants will be provided certificates on successful completion of the programme.
Free Accommodation and lodging and food will be provided to AICTE candidates. Others can avail the same on self-finance basis.
Dr. Uday Shankar
Rajiv Gandhi School of Intellectual Property Law,
IIT Kharagpur, West Bengal - 721302
Phone: 03222-281846, 03222-250847, +91-9475884472
Dr. Rabindra Kr Pradhan
Department of Humanities and Social Sciences,
IIT Kharagpur, West Bengal - 721302
Phone: 03222-283692, +91-9434703900
Fax: 03222-255303, 03222-282270
Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur,
Kharagpur, West Bengal - 721302