Certificate Course on Intellectual Property Rights
We are pleased to inform that, the Tamil Nadu Technology Development & Promotion Centre of Confederation of Indian Industry [CII] and Centre for Intellectual Property Rights (CIPR) of Anna University is jointly launching a 5 months - Certificate Course on Intellectual Property Rights, commencing on January 2015.
Objectives of the Course:
- To provide an overview on IPR to the graduates and professionals.
- To bring out techno-legal professionals in the field of IPR.
- To act as a bridge course between the academia and the manufacturing industries.
- To provide hands on training on different patent tools along with knowledge sharing by industry professionals
The curriculum is modeled to cover the Intellectual Property Rights.
- Duration: 5 months with 3 full months of extensive teaching
- 1 month project
- 1 month exam and certification.
The course will consist of 4 modules each module consists of 9 classes. i.e. Total no of classes: 36
Module - I: Overview on IPR and its classification - 9 classes
Introduction to IP - Invention and Creativity - Importance - Protection of IPR - Basic types of Property (i) Movable Property (ii) Immovable Property and (iii) Intellectual Property - Types of IPR - Patents -Copyrights and related rights - Trade Marks - Industrial Designs - Geographical Indications - Traditional Knowledge -Plant variety protection- Layout designs of Integrated Circuits.
Module - II: Patents - 9 classes
Introduction to Patents - Patentability criteria - Novelty, Non-Obviousness and industrial applicability -The Patent Act, 1970 - Inventions not patentable - Patent Specifications: Provisional and complete - Types of patent applications - compulsory licensing - Patent application Forms and fees - Types of Patent search - Prior-art search - Freedom to operate search - Patent validity/Invalidity search - state of art search - International Patent Classifications (IPC) - European patent classification (ECLA) -Cooperative patent classification (CPC) - patent claim analysis - IP landscaping.
Module III: International Conventions related to IPR - 9 classes
International convention relating to Intellectual Property - History of GATT & TRIPS Agreement - Berne convention-Madrid agreement-Hague agreement concerning the International Deposit of Industrial Designs -Patent Cooperation treaty (PCT)-Paris convention-Lisbon Agreement - Establishment of WIPO -UPOV and WTO-Mission and activities- History - General Agreement on Trade and Tariff (GATT)-TRIPS Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights - WCT and WPPT- Budapest Treaty - International Convention for the Protection of New Varieties of Plants -sui generis system.
Module IV: IPR in Life Sciences and Computer related inventions - 9 classes
Patentability of Biotechnology Inventions - Protection of Genetic Resources - Patenting of seeds Moral Issues in Patenting Biotechnological Inventions - case studies on biotechnology patents - protection for Software and Computer related inventions - Protecting Trademark and Copyright in the Social media -Copyright Issues in the Digital Environment - case studies on computer related Inventions.
Final one month project shall include:
- One patent office visit
- One industry visit
- During the project, practical classes shall be conducted on Saturdays (i.e. 4 Saturdays) by hands on experience on patent search and Analytics.
- Patent strategy game shall be organized based on a real time situation for the students.
The 5-month Certificate Course is for,
- Graduates/Post-graduates/PhDs with science, engineering and other technical qualifications
- Domain Experts, Research Scholars, Teachers and Professors
- Legal Professionals (LLB. & LLM.) with technical background
It will be a part-time course with 3 classes per week on alternate days [Monday, Wednesday & Friday/Saturday] which provides 36 classes for the whole 3 months. Each class consists of 2 hrs.
- Application Fee: Rs. 200/- Application
- Course: Rs.15, 000/- (Rupees Fifteen Thousand Only)
Payment Mode: DD in favor of "The Director, Centre for Intellectual Property Rights, Anna University" payable at Chennai
How to Apply?
- Application format may be downloaded from:
Hard copy of the filled in application form along with a Demand Draft of Rs.200/- should submitted to the following address:
Centre for Intellectual Property Rights (CIPR) CPDE Building
(behind Vivekananda auditorium)
Anna University, Chennai - 25
Last date for submission of completed application is 9th January, 2015
The Selected candidates will be intimated through mail.
Dr. T. N. Shanmugam
Director, Centre for IPR
Anna University, Chennai,
Sardar Patel Road, Guindy,
Chennai - 600 025
Phone: 044-22358574, 044-22358576
Mr Subhajit Saha
Head, Tamil Nadu Technology Development and Promotion Center
98/1, Velachery Main Road,
Guindy, Chennai - 600 032
Email: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
Download Notification, Application Form