14th Vyas Government Law College National Legal Essay Competition
The magazine committee of the Government Law College, Mumbai feels that the best means to explore the real lawyer within its students would be to allow the development of the writer beneath his persona. Thus, the committee is organizing the Vyas Government Law College National Legal Essay Competition each year.
The competition is sponsored by Mr. Dinesh Vyas, one of GLC's most distinguished alumni, who obtained his LLB degree from Government Law College in 1967.
Every year, the number of participants and quality of entries received rises manifold. This year will see the 14th edition of this prestigious competition.
- The Right to be forgotten: the most recent dispute in data protection. Elaborate with respect to Google's legal controversy.
- Discuss the case of Dr. Kunal Saha vs Dr. Sukumar Mukherjee & Ors, with respect to to the perpetual conflict between medical negligence and consumer protection. Analyze the crux of the judgment and development of law through the years on the same.
- Examine the laws regulating commercial activities in outer space and the resolution of disputes in such matters. Shed light on the development of this obscure branch of international law.
- Trial by Media: Is the fourth pillar of democracy hindering justice? Discuss in detail with reference to the detrimental reporting of criminal cases by media in recent times and the blurry freedom of expression.
- Analyze the major provisions of the recently introduced, Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Bill, 2014 in view of the recent incidents brutality towards women.
- Participation is restricted to students currently studying in Law Colleges only. All participants must be LL.B. students, either from the 3 years course or from the 5 years course.
- Individuals alone are eligible to participate. An essay co-authored by two or more students will not be accepted.
- The essay should comprise of not less than 3500 words and not more than 4500 words. The word limit is inclusive of footnotes/endnotes.
- The essay should be typed on A4-sized paper and must adhere to the following requirements: Font type - Times New Roman, Font size - 12, Double-spaced, one-inch margin on each side, printed on one side of the paper.
- The essay must contain proper footnotes mentioning details of authorities used.
- The identity of the student of the college, university, institution etc. should not be revealed in the text of the essay in any manner whatsoever.
- Four hard copies of each entry must be sent by registered post or couriered to:
Government Law College,
'A' Road, Churchgate, Mumbai - 400020
- Each entry should be enclosed with a covering letter on the letterhead of the participating college, which mentions the name and year of the students.
- Participants must also submit a short bio-data containing the following information: Full name, Class, College name, College postal address, College telephone number, Personal contact number, Personal e-mail Id & Postal address.
- A soft copy of the essay must also be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The organizers will not be responsible for any loss or non-delivery of the entries.
- 1st Prize 12,000/-
- 2nd Prize 9,000/-
- 3rd Prize 7,000/-
The top two essays will be published in meLawnge 2014-15, the Annual College Magazine of the Government Law College, Mumbai. All publishing rights will remain with the organizers.
All authors submitting their entries shall receive a letter of appreciation for their participation.
The entries must be submitted on or before 5th January, 2015.
Ms. Maithili Parikh
Chief Student Editor
Ms. Malvika Amin