Empowering Dalit Lawyers for Empowering India
The Dalit communities in India continue to reel under incessant human right violations in the form of violence and atrocities. It calls for empowering and developing leadership among Dalit communities, lawyers in particular, to give voice to the anguish, aspirations and hopes of their people and lead them forward and affirm their right to equity, identity, dignity, life, development and future.
Date: 6th - 8th December, 2014
Venue: Indian Social Institute, New Delhi
It is meant for the lawyers (both those who have completed as well as pursuing law) and advocates from Dalit Communities. The medium of language will be Hindi.
The main objectives of the programme are:
- To promote Dalit legal empowerment
- To promote network of Dalit lawyers.
The training programme will be conducted by qualified and eminent persons in the field of law and legal practice. The emphasis is on imparting knowledge through discussion, personal sharing, case study, documentary films, interactions and meetings with advocates, social activists, and visits to National Commission for Women, National Human Rights Commission, Family Courts, Consumer Courts, and Parliament House etc.
This course will cover the following topics:
- Sharing of experiences and knowledge on issues of concern including The Practice of untouchability and discrimination against Dalits/Adivasis, unorganized labor and child labor, Dalit/Adivasi land rights.
- Human rights of Dalits and its violations
- SC/ST issues & Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989, Civil Liberties Act, 1988
- Protection of Human Rights Act, 1993, Composition and functioning of NHRC/SHRCs and Other National/State Commissions.
- Criminal Procedure system in India including human rights and police
- Court practices and procedures
- Welfare schemes and policies related to Dalit/Adivasi communities etc.
- Registration fee: Rs. 500/- (non-refundable)
- Board & lodge: Rs. 500/- (highly subsidized)
Number of participants: 30
Better network among members of Dalit legal fraternity and also empowerment and Leadership among the members of the Dalit Community.
Mr. Paul Jacob
Phone: +91-9810939681, 011-49534142
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Indian Social Institute
10, Institutional Area,
Lodi Road, New Delhi
Delhi - 110003
Fax: 011-24690660, 011-49534104