ESCRITO '12 - 1st Prof. (Dr.) S.R.S. Bedi Memorial Essay Writing Competition on Public International Law
Escrito, in Spanish, means an invitation extended to write and complete another person's literary or scientific composition. The reason for choosing Escrito as the title of Prof. (Dr.) S.R.S. Bedi Memorial Essay Writing Competition was something very similar. A result of Prof. Bedi's lifelong work, Human Dignity as a concept remained an unfinished piece at the time of his untimely demise on 3rd October, 2012. And yet to his students he had already outlined the concept of Human Dignity and what it would involve.
Human Dignity International intends to organise this es-say-writing competition as an annual fixture to expand the field of Human Dignity. It was also primarily for this reason that Human Dignity International as an organisation was created in the first place. It is dedicated towards ensuring an ever-expanding resource base regarding the Law of Human Dignity.
To this end, the object of organising Escrito is to expand the field and update International Law practitioners about the principles of the concept of human dignity and its more wide-spread implications.
- The Essay competition is open to students of under graduate, post graduate courses legal practitioners, research scholars, academicians, post-graduates,. from the disciplines of Law, Political Science, Sociology, International Relations, Arts and Humanities.
- Each participant shall be permitted to submit only one individual entry. Joint entries shall not be permitted.
- Registration Fee for the competition is Rs. 200.
- To participate in the essay competition, participants must submit their essay along with the required details by December 01, 2012 latest by 23:59 hours Indian Standard Time. The Essay should be submitted in MS WORD format only.
- To register for the essay competition, the participant must send us the registration form along with demand draft of INR 200 in favor of 'Ankita Mittal' payable at Malerkotla addressed to Ankita Mittal, 516, Vasant Vihar, Raliway Road, Malerkotla, Punjab - 148023, on or before 22nd December, 2012. The scanned copies of both the registration form and the demand draft shall also be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 22nd December, 2012.
- The essay must contain an abstract not exceeding 200 words mentioning the key issues and setting out the main conclusions reached.
- No part of the essay (except the cover page) should contain any form of identification of the participant.
- Essays must be original and unpublished.
- Copyright of the essays entered will be assigned to the organizers.
- There is no hard-copy submission of the essay.
- The participants may choose to write on any topic within the ambit of the broader theme of the competition i.e "Element of Human Dignity in International Law: Issues and Challenges".
- Submission must not exceed 3500 words (exclusive of footnotes).
- Violation of the word limit will result in a penalty of 1 marks per 50 words exceeded.
- The essay must include references in the form of footnotes. The Oxford Standard for Citation of Legal Authorities (OSCOLA) should be followed for the citations.
- All submissions must be original and bona fide work of the participants; plagiarism will result in automatic disqualifications. The contestants by entering in the contest agree to indemnify the organizers from and against all claims, suits, and damages based on any claim of copyright infringement or plagiarism or unauthorized use.
- All entries shall be considered to be the property of the or-ganizers which reserves the right of publication of the same in any book, journal, or in any other manner as it may deem appropriate, without providing any royalty or compensation.
- The essay should not have been submitted in any other competition and/or for publication whatsoever.
- All the essays should follow the following specifications:
- Font: Times New Roman (Text & Footnote).
- Font Size: Text-12; Footnote-10
- Line Spacing: 1.5
- Footnote Line Spacing: 1.0
- Footnoting Style: OSCOLA
Last Date of Registration
22nd December, 2012 (23:59 Hrs)
Last Date for Submission
22nd December, 2012 (23:59 Hrs)
Declaration of Results
Last week of January
Download Poster, Competition Handbook