The Language of Law Course: Common Law Foundation Programme - August 2012
Hong Kong, a vibrant international city with a Chinese/ English bi-cultural heritage, is an ideal environment for bridging the language and cultural gaps that can hinder successful graduate study or professional work. Courses will take place in Kowloon Tong, just a short distance from the heart of Hong Kong's Central District. Dedicated professionals will ensure that each participant actively takes part in classroom activities and receive constructive feedback on oral and written work.
This course is designed for lawyers and law students who:
- Are preparing for graduate study or practice in an English- speaking environment
- Wish to acquire foundation concepts of common law
- Want to develop practical and analytical skills for study or work in western business context
This 60-hour course is designed to complement, not replace, LLM introductory classes, by giving students a head start on many of the concepts they will encounter in the common law environment.
- Learn about the origins and methods of common law systems
- Acquire technical legal vocabulary and communication skills in English
- Develop cross-cultural competence (classroom activities, etiquette, body language)
- Draft case briefs, class notes and other basic legal documents
- Acquire basic common law research techniques
- Improve business and legal English fluency in small conversation groups
- Receive an orientation to western legal systems and methods
- Make effective oral presentations for classroom and professional use
- Visit the Hong Court courts and meet jurists from other jurisdictions
Participants attending a minimum of 85% of class hours will receive a Certificate of Participation at the Gala Dinner at the end of the course.
Participants must have a first language other than English but have attained 550 in TOEFL (Paper Based Test) or 213 in TOEFL (Computer Based Test) or 79 (Internet- Based Test); Band 6.5 in IELTS; CET (Band 6 = 430); or equivalent.
For more information please write to email@example.com
Download Flyer with Application Form