NUJS' National Environmental Law Workshop 2012
The aims of the NUJS" National Environmental Law Workshop are:
- Guide law students on various careers in environmental law.
- Promote greater understanding of current issues in environmental law through talks with experts.
- Bring out the opinion of law students on environmental issues.
- Develop skills required for environmental lawyering, policy making and advocacy.
Venue: National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata
The workshop will be spread over a period of 2 days consisting of 4 sessions from 10th - 11th March, 2012. Each session will involve a discussion with an eminent lawyer. This will be followed up with an activity involving the students.
The following themes will be covered in the workshop:
- Forest governance and institutional reforms in India - by Sanjay Upadhyay
Sanjay Upadhyay is a SC Advocate and the Managing Partner of Enviro-Legal Defence Firm, India"s first environmental law firm.
- Biodiversity and rights of indigenous people - by Shalini Bhutani.
Shalini Bhutani is an independent researcher working on issues of IPRs, community rights, agriculture and biodiversity. She has previously acted as the Regional Programme Officer (Asia) of GRAIN.
- Environmental impacts of development project - by Kanchi Kohli
Kanchi Kohli is an environmental activist who has been working on issues of environment development for more than a decade. In 2000, she joined Kalpavriksh.
- International climate change negotiations - by R.V. Anuradha
R.V. Anuradha is a partner at Clarus Law Associates, New Delhi. She has worked extensively on legal issues of international trade, climate change and environmental infrastructure projects.
Based on the above themes the following activities will be conducted:
- Mock Green Tribunal: Students will be given a real-life problem and asked to represent different groups in a court room scenario.
- Mock UNFCCC session: Students will be required to represent key parties in a mock UN climate change rounds.
- Paper presentations: Papers are invited on any topic of environmental relevance. Kindly see the Call for Papers for more details.
Kindly fill in the attached the application form along with the write-up and submit the same before 27th January 2012. The Registration Fee of Rs.400/- has to be paid by selected participants. The accommodation and food will be covered by the organizers.
For any enquiries or clarifications, you can email at email@example.com
- Vibhav Mithal Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: +91 9874990747
- Alphonsa Jojan Email: email@example.com Phone: +91 9681234042
- Stella James Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: +91 8017547357
- Jasun Chelat Email: email@example.com Phone: +91 9051438193
- Shruthee Srinivasan Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: +91 9831506032
- Debkanya Naskar Email: email@example.com Phone: +91 9434729810
Download Notification, Application Form