7th International Disaster Law Course
The 7th International Disaster Law Course is organized jointly by the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, the International Institute of Humanitarian Law of Sanremo, and in cooperation with the Italian Red Cross. The course will take place in Sanremo (IT) from 26 to 30 September, 2022, and online attendance is also allowed.
Staff of Governments, international and regional organizations, NGOs, Red Cross / Red Crescent National Societies, academics, graduate and post-graduate students with an interest in humanitarian assistance and disaster management issues.
Disasters are among the largest threats to human security and development facing the world today. Is international law stepping up? Are humanitarian actors, international/national institutions and scholars ready to face legal and institutional challenges raised by disasters?
This 5-days course will provide participants with a comprehensive overview of existing international law and key regulatory issues related to the prevention and management of disasters, with a focus on challenges raised by pandemics.
Structure of the Course:
Through a mixture of lectures, practical exercises and interactive group works, this 5-days course, jointly organized by the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) Disaster Law, the International Institute of Humanitarian Law in Sanremo, and high-profile academics, will provide a dynamic and tailored learning environment.
- Key legal issues in disaster management;
- Legal and operational challenges in relief operations;
- Human rights protection and other cross-cutting themes in disaster settings such as protection of cultural property and migration issues;
- International Disaster Law and pandemics;
- Disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation law;
- Regional approaches to disaster law.
- Eduardo Valencia-Ospina: Member of the International Law Commission, Former Special Rapporteur on the Protection of Persons in the Event of Disasters,
- Walter Kälin: Former Representative of the UN Secretary-General on the Human Rights of Internally Displaced Persons,
- Isabelle Granger: Global Lead, Disaster Law and Auxiliary Role, IFRC,
- Gian Luca Burci: Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies, Former Legal Counsel, WHO,
- Giulio Bartolini: Editor-in-Chief, Yearbook of International Disaster Law
- along with other high-level speakers from academia and distinguished experts from International Organizations
- € 650.
- Fee includes participation in the 5-day course, course materials, lunches and coffee breaks, reception drink and farewell dinner, and course certificate.
- Online attendance is also allowed at the same cost.
The last date for registration is 19th September, 2022 (max. 35 participants)