International Virtual Conference on Maritime Labour Law
Gujarat Maritime University is going to organize an International Virtual Conference on Maritime Labour Law.
Date of Conference: 24th & 25th April, 2021
Maritime workers perform an admirable service to humanity by helping in moving ships and a variety of cargo from one port to the other. Working on long-term contracts, at sea, and far away from home, seafarers have to face numerous challenges. These include issues related to repatriation, abandonment, non-payment of wages, etc. Mindful of problems faced by seafarers in international waters, some forward-looking developments have taken place in international law. Today, there are numerous conventions and recommendations on working conditions in the maritime transport sector. The purpose of these is to achieve decent work for seafarers and to secure economic interests through fair competition for quality ship owners.
In order to realize its vision, GMU Centre for Research on Maritime Labour Law is pleased to organize the Conference on Maritime Labour Law. It encourages the submission of papers focusing on various aspects of the theme.
Theme 1: Maritime Labour Law - Historical Perspective
- History of seafarers and world shipping
- Evolution of Maritime Labour Law: South Asian Perspective
- The Role of Trade Union activities in the Maritime Sector
- Role of International Labour Organisation in development of Maritime Labour Law
- Role of International Maritime Organisation in development of Maritime Labour
- International Non-governmental Maritime Organisation and Maritime Labour Law
- Evolution and development of legal frameworks governing Port Workers
- Evolution and development of legal framework governing seafarers on fishing vessel
- Maritime Labour Law and Human Rights Treaties
Theme 2: Conditions of employment, and issues related to medical care and welfare of the seafarers
- Seafarer Employment Agreement, under Maritime Labour Convention 2006
- Jurisdiction and governing law in disputes arising out of a Seafarer's Employment Agreement
- Issues related to Medical care of Seafarers on board ship and ashore
- Maritime Labour Law and welfare of the seafarers
- Piracy and Maritime Labour Law
- Legal issues related to Recruitment and Placement agencies for seafarers
Theme 3: Issues related to Repatriation and Abandonment of Seafarers
- Abandonment of seafarer and legal response
- Legal Issues related to Repatriation of Seafarers
- System of financial security for seafarers under Maritime Labour Convention, 2006
- Criminalisation of Seafarer
- Role of P&I Clubs and Maritime Labour Law
Theme 4: Compliance and enforcement of Maritime Labour Law
- Flag state responsibilities under Maritime Labour Law
- Port state responsibilities under Maritime Labour Law
- Labour supplying state responsibilities under Maritime Labour Law
- Challenges to implementation of Maritime Labour Convention, 2006
- Challenges to implementation of Maritime Labour Convention, 2006: Regional Perspective
In order to promote and reward deserving submissions, selected papers will be published in an edited Book on Maritime Labour Law to be published by the publisher of International / National repute.
Note: Certificate of Participation will be provided to all the Presenters.
- The Interested Contributors are requested to send their original abstracts in not more than 300 words (excluding footnotes and title).
- Post acceptance of abstracts, the full papers have to be submitted in Microsoft Word (Doc. / Docx.) formats only. The body of the manuscript must be in "Times New Roman" font only. font size 12 pt, line spacing 1.5 and alignment "justify". The paper has to be original and free from plagiarism. The word limit for Draft Papers is 4000 - 6000 words.
- All footnotes must be in font "Times New Roman", font size 10 pt, line spacing. All submissions must follow "The Bluebook: A Uniform System of Citation (20th Edition)".
- Abstract and full paper should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Co-authorship is allowed up to two Authors. In case of Co-authorship, both the Authors have to register separately.
- The registration link will be sent to the Authors of selected abstracts by 2nd April, 2021. Registration fees will be waived for all the Authors whose abstract is selected for paper presentation.
|Submission of Abstracts:
||28th March, 2021
|Confirmation of Acceptance:
||31st March, 2021
|Last Date of Registration:
||7th April, 2021
|Submission of full Paper:
||20th April, 2021
|Submission of PowerPoint Presentation:
||22nd April, 2021
|Date of Conference:
||24th and 25th April, 2021
Mr. Saravanan Ravi